10' Rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

5feathers

10' Rods

Post by 5feathers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi: There was a small discussion about 10-foot rods a while back and Dorber Rods were included. Has anyone bought and fished these blanks? I'm looking for a light blank to use for high sticking and fishing spiders, etc.
Thanks,
Bruce
Liam

Re: 10' Rods

Post by Liam » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Bruce- I'm not sure if blanks are available, but I use a 10'- 4 wt. Hardy Marksman for all of my nymph and spider fishing. These rods are quite light, incredibly accurate, and feel like an 8.5' to 9' rod to use. Mine has done everything I ask it to do from casting weighted czech rigs to braces of spiders with no complaints. The line control is unbeatable and the rod itself is a pleasure to use.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 pm

I have not taken delivery of my 10 foot 4 wgt Dorber rod yet. Blanks are available for that rod, but I'm no rod buuilder. Ordered the rod completed for me.

I'm also thinking about a Snowbee Diamond Rod, also in a 10foot 4 wgt version. If it's available, I'll have one to practice with when I get back from Idaho.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 am

Hi Ron: Don't forget to give us your review on the rods.
Bruce
Lonewolve

Post by Lonewolve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I switched to 10' rods in 1998 for fishing big rivers and my great lakes tributary trips.I only use four rods that are under 10',they are in the order i use em: Walton Powell Hexagraph 7'6" 4/5( small stream Dry Fly Brookie Rod), Gloomis GL4 9' 5wt(local Limestone Nymph/Dry), Gloomis GL4 9' 9wt(Salmon River New York Septemeber/early October),and a Gloomis GL3 6'6" 3wt(Trico/Midge}.These rods under 10' are used for these purposes strictly .I have three Lamiglas 10' 6 wts that have been my main Lake Run Brown Trout and Erie Steelhead ( New York)as well as Lehigh/Delaware River rods.But also they have been used for nymphing local limestoners too.For lines i was abig fan of the Cortland 444 in double taper,however about 8 years ago i tried a sci angler and wasn't happy at all,so i tried Rio lines and now i can honestly say if it aint Rio it aint no deal.I use Their Windcutter as my main fly line and single hand spey cast more than not,i also have their Selective Trout lines too all lines are in 4,5,6 wts.Two years ago i bought a True TroutSpey rod and have been using it to swing Soft hackles as well as streamers that rod is also a Gloomis Metolius TroutSpey 13'4" for 5/6.
I can honestly say if you haven't tried a 10' rod you are missing out,way better line control and also extended drifts,there is a saying "the longer your fly is in the water the more chance for a take".I have neevr been a Sage fan ,But that may soon change i have my eye on their 11' 5wt Z-Axis its a switch rod.Want to talk great dead drifts?As for softer rods,I am not sure any one in their right mind would want a soft/slow rod that is 10' or over would really make fishing dries or wets futile when casting accuracy is needed.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Still no rod from Dorber, they are building the rod for me. I did get the 10 foot 4 wgt Snowbee Diamond rod. I have a new favorite rod. The fit and finish is excellent, light in the hand and a smooth casting rod. Smooth is the only word that describes this rod. The price was very reasonable as well. Very nice for getting a drag free drift in one of the local rivers (only one open til june 1st) when fishing spiders. Several resident cutthroat fell under the spell of a Pritt's Water Cricket and Black Spider on the first time out with the rod.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Got my new 10' 4 wgt from Global Dorber. Fit and finish are excellent. It is a 2 piece rod so the tube is a bit long if your going to travel a lot. The rod lays line out nicely and mends well. Much softer (slower) than the Snowbee rod and will work well for fishing the spiders with tiny tippets. I may have two favorite rods in the 4 wgt class. I'll let you know how it handles a few trouts after the weekend.

REE
Davyfly

Post by Davyfly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Dorber rod company is just down the road from me here in Flippin AR.
I know the guys there so will check that rod out.
I am a 10 and a 11ft rod fanatic, for the primary purposes of fishing traditional wets, soft and spiders, and l got a bunch of them from the late 60s.
I have to say l very much like the recent editions of the Hardy/Streamflex 10ft 3 and 4 wts, the Hardy Marksman 11ft 5 is also a awesome rod but not so much for the smaller flies and lighter leader/tippet configurations.
The SF 3WT is likewise a awesome rod for fishing spider/soft hackle to light leader set ups.

DW
www.davywotton.com
Outfitter/guide services/FF DVDs/Custom/ flies

leighs52

Post by leighs52 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Since getting a Grey's Streamflex 10ft 4 wt, I haven't used any of my 15 other rods. I love this rod.
Leigh
Davyfly

Post by Davyfly » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Thats a great rod you have there, the 3wt version is also same, if you can get one, they are in short supply at this time.

Saw the guys at Dorber the other day in Walmart, Ray told me he is doing real well with his 10fts. Ray did build me a tournament rod recently, for 5wt line class.

I have a question here. We need the date and month sorted as it does not apply to the actual posting times.

DW
www.davywotton.com
Outfitter/guide services/FF DVDs/Custom/ flies