Struggles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Struggles

Post by DUBBN » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

I fished the Colorado River today. I fished a section in Glenwood Canyon due East of Glenwood Colorado. This section of the river runs parallel to Interstate 70. Normally this is a great spot to fish at this time of year. Not so today. I struggled. I caught three fish in the first twenty minutes. I caught one more fish the entire day.

One fish took a Cased Caddis, size 14. Two trout took a Partridge and Peacock size 12, and one took a ,,,,,,,,, uh,,,,,,,,hmmmmm,
a Pink San Juan Worm. Sorry Forum I am a sinner.

The Mountain Whitefish are done with their spawn. I am sad to say that my string of catching atleast one Whitefish larger than the State record has come to an end after close to 20 years.

I know some snub the Whitey, but I dont. Thay are native, and a very good indicator to a healthy river system.

Strange year, and maybe I am losing a bit of my "touch".

JohnL, could I get some lessons? ;)
redietz

Re: Struggles

Post by redietz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Gee, my property backs up to Interstate 70. How come I don't have water like that in my backyard?

Three fish like that are better than a poke in eye with a sharp stick, for sure.
Bob
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 am

Wayne your struggles have me all choked up. :D that looks like a fun day and a couple of really nice catches. And i read somewhere recently about using the San wuan worm as your top fly making it easier to follow a wet midge pattern or something small. I could do that...but if it were pink I would have to sneak it. :lol:

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 am

Oh, you poor thing! ;) :lol:
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks you two. I have to admit, the float is almost as much fun as the fishing. Not quite, but almost. :)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Sounds a bit like any day here, few and far between fish....... but a great day anyhow.

How did the "new" landing net go?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:How did the "new" landing net go?

It's better than a kick to the face. It has a nice hard rubber mesh, but the seams have a cloth reinforcement. Those seams act like magnets to my flys. :evil:

Loved my Mclean, but I refuse to put down 90.00 dollars for a new one.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm

People love 'em here as well, you never see them for sale secondhand. Mind you the 111 is on sale here for $89 at the moment, but our dollar has strengthened against yours. :P
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Lovely set of pics. I have been dying to get on the water with the raft lately as well. That last pic doesn't help. Beautiful stretch and weather to boot.

Just too many elk to chase at the moment for me. ;)
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com