Felt paged wallet OK for all soft hackles?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Felt paged wallet OK for all soft hackles?

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:21 pm

flytyerinpa wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 pm I have used a fly wallet for wet flys for many years with no problems, yes when you first take a fly out of the wallet it will look distorted, tie it on make one or two casts then look at it in the water right in front of you and you'll see the fly looks like it was just tied.
Speaking of fly wallets does any body know where I can buy some felt paged for a fly wallet ? Ed
I would think you could get quality felt in a craft store.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:37 pm

flytyerinpa, Howdy;

here's what a super quick Google provided.

https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-m ... ters=attrs

These are 1/8th inch can also get them in other thicknesses.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 am

jaydawg wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm Finally got around to taking some pics of my felt wallet. Please excuse the quality of my pics. They are a deadly combination of poor photo skills and a cheap camera. :oops:

The flies are the latest batch from the vise waiting to tested on the water.

I personally love to use leather bound felt wallets. Three are in my standard turnout: two are "Batten kill" models, same as yours in the photo. Last, I have two "Common Sense" wallets which I rotate according to fishing needs.....and I snell all of my flies. And Yes, I have fallen in and drenched them.... the dunking is followed by a quick dash to the truck where the defroster is blasted (two wallets fit nicely on my truck dashboard, one over each vent)to dry them out. Treating the felt with a bit of 'Scotchguard" helps.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am

I've used the Cortland wallets for years, I love them. You need to take a little extra care but that care is part of what makes my fishing fun for me. Nice tip about the ScotchGuard, Dana. I hadn't thought of that and now I'm stealing it.

I do have a relevant question though; bear with me. I have three wallets, one of which I haven't used in a couple of years. All of a sudden I've had a moth infestation and I tore the place apart looking for the buggy Death Star. I found it inside the wallet I haven't used for awhile. The fleece was utterly destroyed, beyond using again.

So my question: has anybody ever tried to re-fleece a wallet? Anybody got any ideas how it might be done? Cortland isn't making these anymore (as far as I know)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:58 am

This website sells pressed wool sheets: https://www.woolfeltcompany.co.uk/acata ... m-727.html

I do not have any experience buying from them. This is just the result of a quick Google search. There are likely other sources to be found.

Good luck. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:20 pm

You da' man, Ray. Thank you for that link. I never really gave those wallets a second thought; they've been with me so long now. Now, when faced with losing one I realize that they're actually pretty important to me.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Mike62 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am I've used the Cortland wallets for years, I love them. You need to take a little extra care but that care is part of what makes my fishing fun for me. Nice tip about the ScotchGuard, Dana. I hadn't thought of that and now I'm stealing it.

I do have a relevant question though; bear with me. I have three wallets, one of which I haven't used in a couple of years. All of a sudden I've had a moth infestation and I tore the place apart looking for the buggy Death Star. I found it inside the wallet I haven't used for awhile. The fleece was utterly destroyed, beyond using again.

So my question: has anybody ever tried to re-fleece a wallet? Anybody got any ideas how it might be done? Cortland isn't making these anymore (as far as I know)
Mike - I have had the same issue in the past. Im normally a calm person, but boy, do I HATE those clothes moths! Just seeing one in the house has me taking apart EVERYTHING and covering all my material with mothballs....and spraying everything in the house with RAID.
Just two months ago, one of my neighbors said " im constantly smelling mothballs in the back yard - any idea where its coming from?"......(two days before i saw one of those flighty critters in the basement, I went to shoprite and bought FIFTEEN boxes of mothballs, to spread around the house).
Yes Ive had them in the fly wallet - another nightmare....new felt did the trick. And I burned to old felt leaves.
I despise those moth larva MORE THAN TICKS!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Dana, I’m with you in the moth problem. I to use moth balls, spray, yellow things you hang up and some Mexican slips you put in a electric heater thing. I still get them! Bastards
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 am

There's something deadlier than moth balls that used to be available from Wal-Mart but I can't remember then name of it. Anyone ...?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Trevis

Post by Trevis » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:12 pm

tie2fish wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 am There's something deadlier than moth balls that used to be available from Wal-Mart but I can't remember then name of it. Anyone ...?
I don't know if it's what you mean, but, 20Mule Team Borax powder is all my storage zip locks and containers. A laundry brightener, that I'm told is used in taxidermy as insect preventive. No noticeable odor and apparently not too toxic to humans. Also give all new materials a soak in borax solution (1/4 cup/gallon warm H2O) asap. Remember "Death Valley Days" with Ronald Reagan?
I lost a full golden pheasant and some other stuff in a tote containing moth balls and haven't "yet" had a problem since starting to use borax. That may be a coincidence.