0 + 1 = FUN

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: 0 + 1 = FUN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:20 pm

letumgo wrote:Reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode, where George goes for a swim. Very funny.

Some of us could use shrinkage, and others can't afford it. LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:39 pm

John L. Howdy;

Have you considered silk liner/under socks ?
Great for wicking away the moisture that is the leading cause
of cold feet. They create an extra layer yet almost zero bulk.
Or you might look at the polypropolyne (sp?), liners/under socks

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
John L

Post by John L » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi DUBBN. The Arkansas River through Canon City here looks like a moving slushy, so no fishing for me for a while. Too bad, because the weather was real nice today. I hope you had good luck for us both.

Hi hankeye. No I have never tried silk. I tried a sock liner I had so long I can't remember the name, and any info ever printed on it is gone. It is silver-grey and I remember supposedly had silver fibers. I just put it on one foot so I'd have a comparison. My head liked the wicking idea but my feet couldn't tell the difference. The military spec socks I use for wading and most everything are 50% wool + 50% cotton. If I ever try another liner or some fancy thick sock like possum or bison I'll test them the same way and let you all know.

The last few days, watching TV, no problem with cold feet.
Stanbiker

Post by Stanbiker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm

John,

I usually wear thin liner socks and wool hiking socks, and that seems to work quite well.

For the gloves, I prefer the simms fingerless gloves with the fold over covers. They have a pocket on the inside of the wrist for a hand warmer pack to keep the blood flowing to your hand warm. If you make sure the hot part is felt on your arm and not covered by a shirt sleeve they work quite well. We have used them down to -15 here. (although, it's cold standing in 30 degree water when it's -15 no matter what you wear)

Nice fish!

Stan
John L

Post by John L » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks, Stan. I'm keeping all these suggestions in the back of my mind (I think).

That was the last fish and the next to last fishing session so far this winter. When I get out again I'll be testing some Cabelas Windshear Fishing Glomitts that were highly recommended and on sale. We'll see