Christmas eve on the river

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Christmas eve on the river

Post by DUBBN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Great day on the Frying Pan River here in Western Colorado. I wanted to be on the river at sunup, but snow packed roads prevented that. I was a good hour late. It didn't matter. The Holiday, and storms kept the normal traffic off the river. I had a half mile stretch to my self. I didnt need that. 200 yards kept me in fish all day.

Temperatures were a balmy 24 degrees when I got to the river. I rigged up with a micro egg (size 20 multi color), a size 18 Candy Cane emerger, and a Gray foam wing midge emerger called a Silver Bullet. Immediately I was into fish. For two hours I caught more fish than I can count. Small Browns and Bows in the 12 to 15 inch Range

Snags, being lazy and not checking the knots after two or three fish, and a couple bad back casts into the brush started diminishing my normal Cand Cane Supply. I had a half dozen Candy Canes tied with a Dun Hen Hackle that I decided to dip in to. I put it, and a small red midge on. I dont know if that was the trigger or what, but what happened next was AWESOME!

I cast into a tiny little seem, and rolled a monster Bow. I am guessing it at 10lbs. I had him on long enough to see he was hooked with the new Candy Cane. He made one run against a rock and the tippet broke leaving only the egg. I wasn't heart broken. this has happened to me more than once on the Frying Pan River. Big fish and lots of sharp rock. what a combination. By far that was the big fish of the day. within a fifty foot distance I did manage two Bows at 24 inches, one at 22, and one at 19 inches.
all three took the Candy Cane with the Dun hackle collar

Heres a pic of the 22 incher

A few of the patterns.

Hackled candy Cane

Silver Bullet

Red Midge

Another Candy cane variation that took fish

Merry Christmas all!
gingerdun

Re: Christmas eve on the river

Post by gingerdun » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Wayne, you are a good man to take the time, on Christmas eve, to give us this present.
Looks like you had a great day.
Thanks!
Lance
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:14 pm

DUBBN, Howdy;

Thanks for sharing the day on the water, always gives me a good feeling
to see how well you do.
In between wives 2 & 3 I used to go deer hunting on Christmas Day, I’d have
the woods all to myself, some of the bestest of times… some of the neighborhood mom's
would dread the thought of me coming home with a deer in the bed of the truck
and the kids thinking I'd shot Rudolf.... :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 pm

What a great way to spend Christmas Eve. Great photos of the river, fish and flies. Thanks for taking me along.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 pm

The browns in the 5th and the last picture look a bit big to still have parr markings. I hate to see what they'll look like when they grow up!

Thanks for pics.
Bob
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:57 am

Awesome report, Wayne, way to go! :)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 am

Once again, I am reminded to of how special this forum is. Here we are, on Christmas Eve, and we are sharing the blessings of the season, a day well spent, and friendship from afar. Thank you, Wayne, for sharing your day with us. Color me jealous... :mrgreen: ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Stanbiker

Post by Stanbiker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks for sharing the day with us. Now I'm jealous! (haven't been fishing for almost a month)
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you Wayne for the nice pictures, really enjoy it on Christmas day. My kids and grandchild's went home so I have some time to look at these beautiful pictures.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:08 am

What a wonderful early present for you, Wayne! And a visual delight for the rest of us to enjoy. Thank you so much for letting us share your day.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"