Laying Dog

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Laying Dog

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Don't ask me where the term "Laying Dog" originated. It's probably lost in the mists of time. I learned it as a patrolling term when I was a LRRP in Viet Nam. Basically it means to go outside the wire a good distance, then stop and remain absolutely still and quiet for a period of time. This allows you to detect any one who may be following you, or who may be ahead of you setting up an ambush.

I use the same strategy when approaching a stream to fish it, whether it's the first time I've seen the water or have fished it many times before. On my approach I keep my eyes peeled for signs of insect activity that may reveal what has been hatching lately. A ways back from the water I always keep an eye out for spider webs. You can gather a lot of bug intel based on what is trapped in a web and how long it's been there.

When I'm within sight of the water I stop, find an appropriate place and sit down. When I used to smoke, I'd light a cigarette and watch the water. Now I just watch the water. I burn less holes in my shirts now and haven't burned through a fly line since I quit smoking. I am, of course, looking for rising or porpoising fish, really any sign of fish feeding activity. I also try to identify any place that I'd be hanging out if I was a fish. Where would I be so that I wouldn't have to work hard to stay in place, was hard to see from above (dang pesky ospreys and eagles) and I could spot food as it went by. Fish can't afford to waste a lot of energy chasing food so if it just happens to drift past, it's an easy meal. When I try to act like that I get called lazy. I prefer to think of myself as trout like.

If there are fish rising I approach from downstream, keeping low and disturbing the water as little as possible. If at all possible I avoid wading until I've mad a cast or two. I tend to fish spiders and flymphs like I would a dry fly. Upstream cast to rising fish. All that stuff about sneaking up on fish.....it works! At least in my limited experience anyways.

If I wind up prospecting a pool for fish I start casting upstream at the tailout, starting close to me and working my way out and away from me. I'll increase my casting distance by about twice the length of the average fish in the stream. Sometimes that isn't much of an increase at all, but I do catch a fair amount of fish. I'll also start walking or wading upstream to cover more water. As I get mid pool I change up a bit. I still use an upstream cast and dead drift, until the fly comes near my position, then I sort of switch to a high stick nymphing stance and line control. After the fly has drifted past me, I fish it on the swing until it rests "on the dangle".

I haven't used weight on a fly in a long, long time, depending on line control to get the fly deeper into the water column, but that's often not enough. I think it was on this forum that someone suggested slipping fly tying beads on the tippet. That way you could vary the amount of weight on each fly as needed and not have to tie a bunch of flies weighted and not weighted. I'm going to start carrying some tying beads with me on the river now.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble now. I'm tying some soft hackles for the kids in the Youth Fly Fishing Camp. Six sets of flies, 24 to a set. I'd better quit typing and get tying.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Izaak

Re: Laying Dog

Post by Izaak » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 am

Fish can't afford to waste a lot of energy chasing food so if it just happens to drift past, it's an easy meal. When I try to act like that I get called lazy. I prefer to think of myself as trout like.
I love this... trout like! Thanks for taking me down to the river. Very sensible approach to the water.

Tom
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am

was hard to see from above (dang pesky ospreys and eagles)
Put a "sticky" by this 'un--great advice for just about every stream I've fished. :) One thing that you mention that often falls by the wayside is how tuned-in trout can be to "death-from-above" --which in this part of the world means kingfishers. For me, paying attention to where the shadow of the flyline is going to be while the line is in the air is just as important as knowing what it's going to do when it's on the water.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 pm

CB, Amen. Lining a fish doesn't just mean when the line is on the water. If there are airborne predators about any passing overhead shadow can spook the fish.

I fished a small spring creek in Idaho a few years back. No eagles, Ospreys, Herons, etc in the area for years. The trout were laying tight to the banks in what looked for the world like tire ruts (good feeding lanes) that were only 6 to 8 inches deep. We found the best tactic was to wade the center of the river, where there were no fish, and cast to the banks where the fish were hanging out. Strange situation but a nice mix of cutthroat, rainbows and browns, all from the same tiny creek.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 am

Ron,

Great post, and a very thoughtful approach to trout fishing. Once I learned to slow down, observe more, and cast less I caught more trout. I'm still learning...

I hope you have been well.

Best,

Tim
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 am

Ron, great advise and stuff we often forget to remember. The wee signature quote at the bottom of my posts kind of sums it up in an easy to remember phrase. :)

Only thing I might like to add or make comment on is how you wade, especially if wearing studded soles. Metal on stone makes one heck of a racket, just put your stud sole wading boots on and go for a walk up the sidewalk or a concrete driveway..... noisy ain't it? Underwater it is probably like a fog-horn warning to wary trout.
Tread lightly and don't drag your feet if stalking in slack water.

Laying dog, did you ever hear any of the Aussies saying "going doggo mate"?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.