Rudd, Perch and Pike

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ruard

Rudd, Perch and Pike

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 am

As a contribution to the discussion about flies and reports of fishing trips:

Yesterday I was with Frits to the Zuidervaart, a canal at about 3 km from my house. Frits fished with a #6 rod and an intermediate glass line and a red and white streamer for Pike.
I fished with a #4 splitcane, a DT4F line and with two wingless wets: a Ryacofila and a Holospider. Most fish came on the Ryacofila. I caught a few little Rudd and little Perch, but also a Perch of 27 cm ( 11 inch ?) and that is a nice one for this water. It was a very nice day with a bright sun and clear water.

Haak: Kamasan B 175 #12
Thread: Sheer 14/0 claret
Body: rope of Oliver Edwards Masterclass Sparkle Yarn Green
Rib: copperwire
Hackle: brown Partridge (short)
Head: green Peacock

A little Rudd , first one on the Ryacofila.

The Perch

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Mataura mayfly

Re: Rudd, Perch and Pike

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 am

Ruard, beautiful pictorial essay. :D
What is your usual method of fishing these canals? The technique you use, depth you fish at and is there much current movement to the Canal waters?

I am just curious to know how other people fish and the methods they use to target species that we do not have, in waters not familiar to me.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 am

Thank you Ruard, for the report. Rudd are beautiful fish and perch of that size are powerful. Both rudd and ide are very fond of Bradshaw's Fancy. That fly happened to catch me a really big rudd in my beginning as wannabe. I was busy trying to gain control over rod and line while the fly did all the work.
"It's not the fisherman, but the fly".

dd
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:Ruard, beautiful pictorial essay. :D
What is your usual method of fishing these canals? The technique you use, depth you fish at and is there much current movement to the Canal waters?

I am just curious to know how other people fish and the methods they use to target species that we do not have, in waters not familiar to me.
There is no current movement at all, only when there is to much water in the canal then they pump the water away and then there could be some current.

I use a leader of 1 yard braided nylon and then 75 cm of 16/100 nylon and then about 1 yard of 12/100. I knot a dropper in the last piece of 12/100 and separate the two flies about 40 cm from each other. I do not use a bite indicator they give me more trouble then that they are useful.

I let sink the flies first and then fish them back with a figure of 8 slow especially with two wingless wets. I the point fly has some lead or a bead then I fish a bit deeper: most of the time I fish at 1 meter.

Greeting
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 am

daringduffer wrote:Thank you Ruard, for the report. Rudd are beautiful fish and perch of that size are powerful. Both rudd and ide are very fond of Bradshaw's Fancy. That fly happened to catch me a really big rudd in my beginning as wannabe. I was busy trying to gain control over rod and line while the fly did all the work.
"It's not the fisherman, but the fly".

dd
Thank you for the tip of the Bradshaw's fancy. We fish for Ide with a wet red tag.

Edit: see now that the Bradshaw is a look a like of the Red Tag.

Greeting
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you, Ruard, for giving us a look at where and how you fish near home.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 am

Ruard wrote:
Edit: see now that the Bradshaw is a look a like of the Red Tag.
Yes, but the difference is there, and of importance as it seems. The purple silk and light hackle (hooded crow or substitute) results in something completely different, although similar. A few fish told me everything about it...

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Ruard - How deep are the channels, and what kind of structure is at the bottom? You indicate that you are fishing roughly 1 meter below the surface. Is that the bottom, or are the channels much deeper than this? I notice that the reeds at the side of the channel are cut out to allow access to the water. Who does this (fisherman, or is it a service of the local town)? Do people ever try fishing these waters from a kayak? (I would be tempted...)

Remarkable fly, by the way. Would you mind if I save a copy of the fly photo? I'm very tempted to use it for a new computer background. Well composed images.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Very nice photo story, Ruard.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:14 pm

letumgo wrote:Ruard - How deep are the channels, and what kind of structure is at the bottom? You indicate that you are fishing roughly 1 meter below the surface. Is that the bottom, or are the channels much deeper than this? I notice that the reeds at the side of the channel are cut out to allow access to the water. Who does this (fisherman, or is it a service of the local town)? Do people ever try fishing these waters from a kayak? (I would be tempted...)
I do not know exactly what the depth is: last spring they put the mud out and so this canal is much deeper than it was. I think it is between 1 and 2 meters. The structure is to soft to wade in it.
I think it is a service of the people who are responsible for the canals. I have never see a kayak in these waters, sometimes there are youngsters with boats and motors behind it: very boring!!

greeting