Spiders/Wingless Wets for Small Streams

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcrumbacher

Spiders/Wingless Wets for Small Streams

Post by jcrumbacher » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Just curious to see which patterns you guys would recommend for fishing spiders/wingless wets on small streams for wild/streambred and/or native trout. My thinking would be along the lines of patterns to match the dominant mayfly and caddisfly hatches in the spring and terristials in summer and fall. (My thinking is geared toward the eastern U.S.) Attractors should be in the mix as well.

For terrestrials I like Vlad's Wet Poodle pattern and some of the older patterns such as the Wet Ant and the Bracken Clock.

Any ideas for attractors (I've seen some of the Royal Soft Hackles people have posted on this site and I'm intrigued)?

I just finished Wet Fly Fishing Treated Methodically by E. M Tod and he suggested using Stewart Style Spiders as one possible choice on burns and waters (similar to our smaller streams).

Just thought this would be an interesting thread.
Tight lines,
Jay
jcrumbacher

Re: Spiders/Wingless Wets for Small Streams

Post by jcrumbacher » Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the info Mike,

Once again your posts continue to be well thought out and spot on. I appreciate the wealth of info you provide on these topics. Your knowledge and hands on experience in these matters is of extreme benefit to someone such as myself who is a relative beginner with these kinds of techniques.

Just a couple of quick additional questions:

What rod length would you recommend for small canopied streams with these techniques? I know from your previous posts that you recommend 12-14' rods for most waters with 10' being the minimum for these techniques. Since we're mainly not talking about tactical teams here, would a 10' rod or even a 9' suffice?

Also, do you know of anyplace online that shows video or any other resources that demonstrate the modified switch cast that you describe using with long rods? I'm a pretty competent overhead caster, but I've never gotten the knack of accurate roll casting.

Again thanks for your time.
I really do agree with other members of this board that you need to write a book on these techniques. I'd be at the front of the line to get a copy.

Thanks,
Jay
jcrumbacher

Post by jcrumbacher » Wed May 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks again Mike,

Tight lines,
Jay
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 pm

@Mike,
simple "THANK YOU" isn't enough, not even remotely... Every time I read any of Yours post or topics, I'm trying to avoid pathetic eruption of acknowledgement, but I'm only human. This time I can't just skip it.

Now I got a picture of some my mistakes, regarding stealth approach ant it's importance. You actually described fly fishing at my closest and favourite stream, which is freestone, overgrown and small, of course.

I enjoyed, as usuall.

@jcrumbacher
Thank You, for starting this inspirable topic!
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Thu May 07, 2009 6:45 am

I'll derive my reaction to simple - Thank's!

Stealth seems familiar to me, since time of spinning for chub and pike on small, clear waters. Wherever was possible, default approach was slow and quiet, with mandatory squat at rod length away from bank... Impulsive moves are out of question!
Casting in such places is my most important problem, for now. Trees and bushes are merciless! Hence, I started this season with old 7' deep bending fly rod hoping it will spare me some time and patience... But, that's just small piece of puzzle...

Practise makes perfect, they say...

Tight lines, Mike!