Lil' Dorothy, the continuing saga.....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Lil' Dorothy, the continuing saga.....

Post by DUBBN » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:30 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:Mark it has been fun, for want of a better word. The whole experience of taking a pattern invented by a well known and accomplished tier, one that had little (or no) hold on the local ideals or market and tie some variations, take them fishing and see what comes of it. It has been both a pleasure- and a heck of a lot of fun. I hope it to be a long continued friendship.
I have had a some of the same experiences with others from the forums, and their creations. Makes it even more fun when you can catch some fish with the shoulders and length on them like the fish you caught.

Very well done Jeff. Hope you get out a few more times and take the time to share with us. The countryside, the water, and the fish you have in your back yard are amazing.

Wayne
Mataura mayfly

Re: Lil' Dorothy, the continuing saga.....

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 am

Lost a really good fish tonight, the only one to accept Lil' Dorothy tied NZ style. Like most "ones that got away" stories you will just have to take my word- it was a GOOD fish, took 3/4 of the flyline in one scorching run before- BANG- and the line went limp.
I wound in disappointed I could not stop the run or put too much tension on the fishes initial run. Checked the tippet on return expecting to have to tie on a new fly and discovered the hook had snapped at the bend.
Unusual for a forged Black Magic #14 to break at the bend. On reflection it could have been metal fatigue from the stresses of thread torque whilst tying- but I doubt it on such a simple tie, there just isn't a lot of torque excerpted when tying this pattern. I have just put it down to the one bad apple in the bunch....... I hope. :evil:
Was too dark and heavy rain for photos. The fly did not make it home and is buried without honours in the stones on the beach at the edge of the big pool.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.