Weighted soft hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

Re: Weighted soft hackles

Post by fflutterffly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I have a soft hackle on many of my czech nymphs, which are very heavily weighted and is acceptable for that style fly. But for me wet flies should be tied traditionally, as I see them represented on this forum. I strive, within my own personal soft hackle fly box, to stay true to the wet fly/ soft hackle with it's simplicity and grace. I have formed the opinion, possibly erroneously, that the wet fly with soft hackles should be a sub-surface fly, the way I use it. If I'm incorrect I'd certainly like someone to correct me.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 am

fflutterffly wrote:I have formed the opinion, possibly erroneously, that the wet fly with soft hackles should be a sub-surface fly, the way I use it. If I'm incorrect I'd certainly like someone to correct me.
Ariel,

By and large the most effective way of fishing lightly dressed wingless wets for me has been to fish them dead drift in the film, or just slightly sub-surface (within 4" of the film).

In the film, in effect, makes them a "dry" fly 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am

Ariel,

A few months ago I attended a fly fishing related show and while there I had the pleasure of watching a fellow tie a few of the classic soft hackles. Silk thread the correct hackle for the fly and really some very nicely tied flies. Questioning the tier his technique when he uses these soft hackles he mentioned fishing the slower runs and applying shot as needed to get the fly down to the fish. Now really I say; to each their own but some how I'm with Hans here and enjoy fishing the fly as I would like to believe it was intended.

Regards, Jerry
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 am

Hi Ariel. In my opinion, there really is not a wrong spot to fish a Spider/Soft hackle/Flymph. I have never read a lot on the history of the patterns. Most information on that aspect of the sport has come from this forum. Over 30 years ago I started using these patterns. Not having a star to be guided by, I began using them as nymphs, and emergers. I am glad I did. I have as much success using them along the bottom as I do using a Gold Rib Hares Ear, PT,nymph, or even scuds. For me, the Soft Hackles are every bit as productive imitating the larva and pupa stages of insects. I still use nymphs, but usually have a Soft Hackle on my leader along with it.

It was not till a few years later that I started the down and across swing with the patterns that I realized they worked well in the top foot of the water column. A few years later that I started fishing them upstream, dead drifted in the film.

In short, for me, they are used as a tool to catch trout from top to bottom. Tradition plays little part in my way of thinking or deploying the Wingless Wets in my arsenal of fish producing patterns. :)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:46 am

DUBBN wrote:Hi Ariel. In my opinion, there really is not a wrong spot to fish a Spider/Soft hackle/Flymph.
Absolutely - whatever works 8-)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 am

Just about any pattern will work anywhere in the water column. The goal is to find the one that works better.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 pm

DUBBN, Howdy;
Those pix you posted earlier in this thread ... WOW!
Beautifully done, each and every one of them, but the photos
are some of your best.

My experience fishing our favorite subject for discussion, is still,
sorely lacking in depth. So I'm going to absorb some more brain Fodder.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 pm

DUBBN wrote: In my opinion, there really is not a wrong spot to fish a Spider/Soft hackle/Flymph.
I realized that about a dozen years ago when I caught fish on top and then on bottom in six feet of water on consecutive casts with the same fly (a partridge and green). That's why I love them.
Bob
taylor16

Post by taylor16 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am

With regards to two-fly rigs, would most of you recommend tying the traditional (weight-free) soft hackle before or after the weighted nymph in an effort to get the soft hackle deep. I've been reading too much about Leisenring and his gentle "opinion" of beadhead soft hackles...
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 05, 2013 8:51 am

taylor16 wrote:With regards to two-fly rigs, would most of you recommend tying the traditional (weight-free) soft hackle before or after the weighted nymph in an effort to get the soft hackle deep. I've been reading too much about Leisenring and his gentle "opinion" of beadhead soft hackles...
I prefer to have the largest, or heaviest fly tied on first, then drop a smaller or lighter fly from that. This is just my opinion on the matter. It is just out of habit for me. That, and I can get my leader to turn over on the cast easier. Large flies equate to larger tippets. Small flies call for smaller tippets. In this scenario, I want my leaders and tippets to taper from large to small at the end. Hope I made sense.

There are others on this board with a heck of a lot more knowledge on the subject than me. I hope they will chime in as well.