Ray Bergman's theory; Sun behind or in front?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

taylor16

Ray Bergman's theory; Sun behind or in front?

Post by taylor16 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 am

I was reading the chapter in "Trout" last night in regards to keeping the sun at your back. This, to me, makes perfect sense as long as the light isn't coming from down low whereby your shadow, or the shadow of the fly line, spreads over the surface of the water. Before this, I've always read to do the opposite - keep on the sun in front of you. So, if possible, which do you prefer?
chase creek

Re: Ray Bergman's theory; Sun behind or in front?

Post by chase creek » Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am

I prefer not to face the sun, as long as my shadow isn't thrown on the water. A shadow is a BIG red flag to a fish - means predator is overhead, and that's a bad thing for them.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 am

Keeping the sun to your back is nice when it works that way, but honestly most lies are not equally approachable from either side of the stream, so you're conscious of the shadows, but to make that a rule seems impractical. Fishing upstream can help, when that works, and longer casts with longer leaders can help, when that works. I've also read recently that drifting your fly between the fish and the sun creates a silhouette that is off putting and the fly should be cast so the fly would be viewed by the trout in natural light. That sounds nice too, if it works that way. Or maybe it's the opposite. :D

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

I agree with William. There are too many other variables to make standing with the sun at your back a standard rule.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm

My theory- It might work in a perfect world, but the world is seldom perfect.
There are many times/places/situations where shifting position (sides of the stream) become just impossible to keep the sun in your face. In those situations it is up to you to adopt a more stealthy approach to a casting position that keeps your profile to a minimum.
It is not just shadow to consider, there is also reflected sun glint off glasses/rod/reel or anything reflective on your person. Keeping everything drab and dull helps, you may not have the glitz and glamour of the latest off the shelf guy, but you will not scare as many trout either.

Over here there has been a large movement toward "sports wash" detergents for hunting clothes that do not contain the UV brighteners of normal laundry detergents. I have not jumped on the band wagon yet, but it does make you wonder a little about if we are approaching the stream with all the stealth in the world, but our clothing is glowing like a neon sign? :o

I say as long as the sun is out and still in the sky- it is a good day. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:
I say as long as the sun is out and still in the sky- it is a good day. :D
Amen.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 pm

mataura mayfly, Howdy;

Went thru the UV 'be-gone' phase back in the '80's.
One of the main things that give us our 'glow' is the
use of Bluing agents in the laundry persons favorite
choice ... One thing to use is Woolite, has zero bluing
agents and a lot cheaper than the 'Specialty Cleaners'.
You can check for UV's by using a black light ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:I say as long as the sun is out and still in the sky- it is a good day. :D
That and me looking down on the grass instead up up at the grass.

I also agree with Jeff said about the sun behind or in front. As long as I'm not throwing a shadow across the water and spooking the fish, it's all good.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"