Summerfest at the Museum (Another Roscoe Road Trip)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Summerfest at the Museum (Another Roscoe Road Trip)

Post by redietz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 am

letumgo wrote: SPECIAL NOTES ON FISHING METHOD (CAUTION - CONTENT MAY SHOCK PURISTS):
I tried something new (to me anyways) this trip. I treated some of the soft hackle flies with a product called "Frogs Fanny". It is a dry desiccant powder, that causes a fly to float on the surface film. At the end of a drift, I would gently pull the fly under the surface film. The desiccant powder holds a small cocoon of air around the fly, creating a silvery bubble. After a several casts, the powder would wash off and the fly would sink, fishing just below the surface film, yet retain many small bubbles. I liked how the fly remained very soft and lively. Other types of liquid and paste floatants tend to matte the flies.

This method of fishing a wingless wet may be sacrilege, but I found it to be very effective. I caught several of the fish, just as the fly was pulled under at the end of a drift. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has tried fishing soft hackles treated with Frogs Fanny.
It's not shocking to me at all, since I do it regularly. I usually only treat the top dropper and let the point fly sink.
Bob
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:09 am

Ray, what a fantastic photographic essay.
So pleased you were not that rushed for time and managed some fishing and took us along via your wonderful photos. Guess it would be very hard to travel there and not fish!
Isn't night fishing cool? Amazing how in tune your other senses become when sight is taken away to a degree. I love night fishing here, big brown trout come into shallows and into the banks, are easier to approach and the sheer challenge of doing it at night in the dark/semi-dark just makes it that much more exciting!

I am going to do a garage search, you need a Dora the Explorer fly box to go with that lovely Hello Kitty number. :lol:

You do know Frogs Fanny powder is just an expensive way of buying flumed micro silica? It is much cheaper to buy in bulk as the raw product and then you have enough for yourself for a long time and plenty to share around.
I can find out where you order it from over there....... just give me a day or two. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 am

Mataura mayfly wrote: You do know Frogs Fanny powder is just an expensive way of buying flumed micro silica? It is much cheaper to buy in bulk as the raw product and then you have enough for yourself for a long time and plenty to share around.
It is indeed fumed silica, but it's mixture of hydrophilic and hydrophobic fs. The hydrophilic wicks water out of a water logged fly; the hydrophobic repels new water. I've tried both kinds by themselves, and neither work nearly as well as the mix. Between that, and the difficulty of filling a container from a gallon bag of Cabosil (I guess if you really like inhaling the stuff it's not so bad) and the fact that FF has a brush in the bottle, I now just buy the stuff and save the Cabosil for thickening epoxy.
Bob
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am

HI Ray,

It was great to seeing you on saturday. I didn't realize that you were going to fish with Ed. Jeff and I ended up there as well and would have joined you. Thanks for the great shots and I look forward to seeing you over the winter and the next gathering.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

I buy my fumed silica from here. http://www.king-cart/cgi-bin.com Well that's not correct but it is King Cart. Or do a search. King Cart thickeners. Or http://www.epoxyproducts.com Now that's it. You'll just have to search for the product.

I use a knife blade to load the small bottles, no mess.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
tjd

Post by tjd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Ray,

Nice pics, as always, and very nice narrative of our weekend!

It was a ball fishing the Beaverkill at night with Ray. The large stoneflies that were hatching and flying around really brought up some nice trout.

It was nice to see friends at Summerfest, and to support the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum. As Jim Krul says, "There's no place like it in the world!"
As always, it was nice to look at all of the classic tackle, and to learn new things from some very experienced folks.

Those West Branch browns can be pretty fickle...Ray was generous, and should have captioned the photos of me with something along the lines of "Even a blind squirrel finds and acorn every once and a while!"

Great people. places, and times.

Bruce, how did you and Jeff fare?

Best,

Tim