Summerfest at the Museum (Another Roscoe Road Trip)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Summerfest at the Museum (Another Roscoe Road Trip)

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:19 am

I drove back to Roscoe this weekend to attend the Summerfest gathering at the CFFCM, and do some trout fishing with Tim Didas (tjd). I had Friday off work, so I drove down early. In the afternoon, I fished a small stream, with soft hackle flies. The vegetation along the stream has gotten quite high, over the summer. Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too).

I spent the afternoon, slowly working my way downstream, working each small pocket of water with soft hackle flies. I caught three small brown trout and two beautiful brook trout.

SPECIAL NOTES ON FISHING METHOD (CAUTION - CONTENT MAY SHOCK PURISTS):
I tried something new (to me anyways) this trip. I treated some of the soft hackle flies with a product called "Frogs Fanny". It is a dry desiccant powder, that causes a fly to float on the surface film. At the end of a drift, I would gently pull the fly under the surface film. The desiccant powder holds a small cocoon of air around the fly, creating a silvery bubble. After a several casts, the powder would wash off and the fly would sink, fishing just below the surface film, yet retain many small bubbles. I liked how the fly remained very soft and lively. Other types of liquid and paste floatants tend to matte the flies.

This method of fishing a wingless wet may be sacrilege, but I found it to be very effective. I caught several of the fish, just as the fly was pulled under at the end of a drift. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has tried fishing soft hackles treated with Frogs Fanny.

The burdocks are beginning to bloom along the stream. They are quit lovely this time of year.

In the late afternoon, I drove back to town and met up with Tim. We had a quick dinner at the Roscoe Diner and then headed out to the stream to do some evening/night fishing. Sunset is currenly around 8:32 PM, but we continued fishing long after the sun went down. Tim and I caught several large brown trout on surface patterns, after it became completely dark. It was exciting to hear the fish slurp/splash at the flies in the dark. The action slowed down, as the temperature dropped, around 11:00 PM.

Here is a grainy photo of Tim working the water downstream of me.

Here is a photo of one of the brown trout I caught on a foam hopper pattern (Los Alamos Ant by Harrison Steeves), after it got dark. I cast the fly forcefully so I could hear it "plop" as it hit the water in front of me. I then let it drift for several seconds and intermittently stripping it back in, like a streamer. I was trying to create turbulence in the water, to attract the fish, and help them target the fly. The fish attacked the fly on the surface, often narrowly missing it in the dark. It was exciting to not be able to see your fly, yet hear the splash, indicating a strike. Tim caught several large browns and one fallfish. You should see the size of the dry fly he was using. It was huge!

Yesterday Tim and I went to the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum to attend Summerfest for a couple hours. It was nice to met several people I know from the Sparce Grey Matter forum. I got to met Ed Ostapczuk (author of a delightful little book called "Ramblings of a Charmed Circle Flyfisher"). I read Ed's book, when I was traveling in Italy last year. It was nice to get to meet him in person.

When Tim and I arrived at the museum Saturday morning, two of "The Locals" were waiting to greet us. A mother whitetail deer, and her young spotted fawn stood under an apple tree near the creek.

ASSORTED PHOTOS FROM SUMMERFEST:
Catskill John

Joe Fox, of Dette Flies, had a nice sellection of materials and a small stack of Mike Valla's new book (the blue book in the corner). I bet they were selling like hotcakes! I ordered a signed copy, which Joe promised to ship out next Monday.

We spent time talking with Bruce Corwin and Jeff (), who helped organize the memorial plaque for Aaron Hirshhorn. The plaque is on display in the bottom floor of the new building.

Tim and Ed looking around at the new displays. It is facinating to study flies of famous tyers up close.

In the afternoon, we drove over to the West Branch of the Delaware. It is very big water, which was difficult for me to fish. My casting skills are no match for this size water. I spent a lot of time watching Tim and Ed Ostapczuk working the water. It was amazing to watch how far they could cast with their bamboo rods. It looks so easy, when you see the line gracefully sailing out over the water. But not when I do it... :oops: :lol:

If you look closely, just to the right of center, you can see Ed fishing.

Here are some photos I took of Tim, catching a nice brown trout on a black leech pattern.

As a final note, I want to show off my new fly box. After our PMD flymph swap earlier this year, William sent this to me, in reference to the photos I posted of my swap flies (with the kitty in it). This is a little "Hello Kitty" metal box, with a few magnets inside to hold a selection of flies. It served me well this weekend. Thank William. :D

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Re: Summerfest at the Museum

Post by tie2fish » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:24 am

It's whimsical stuff like this that makes this group so special.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Re: Summerfest at the Museum

Post by DUBBN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 am

I'm speechless! :lol:
Smuggler

Re: Summerfest at the Museum (Another Roscoe Road Trip)

Post by Smuggler » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am

Reminds me that I need to focus more on night fishing, so much fun. Looks like you had a really nice outing Ray, thanks for taking us with!

PS: That is a true gentleman's fly box.
Roadkill

Re: Summerfest at the Museum (Roscoe Road Trip)

Post by Roadkill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:01 am

I tried something new (to me anyways) this trip. I treated some of the soft hackle flies with a product called "Frogs Fanny". It is a dry desiccant powder, that causes a fly to float on the surface film. At the end of a drift, I would gently pull the fly under the surface film. The desiccant powder holds a small cocoon of air around the fly, creating a silvery bubble. After a several casts, the powder would wash off, and the fly would fish just below the surface film, yet retain many small bubbles.

This method of fishing a wingless wet may be sacrilege, but I found it to be very effective.
Just don't let the cap come off the frog fanny bottle in your vest :o , it coats everything the same way and takes quite a cleanup! ;)

Ray you may have come full circle to the basis for the flymph. I think what you are describing is a modern shortcut to an extended mimicry hydrofuge described by Pete in the Open Letter to the ISOFF. http://www.flymph.com/html/cover.html

Love the flybox!! Much cuter than the ones I give to retiring friends with flies and telling them to just add water and call me when they are feeling better the next day.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:08 am

Ray, Howdy;

Thanks for the pix and narrative.
It takes a man secure within himself to carry,
let alone display a fly box such as that. 8-) , ;) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

Ray, when I commented on this thread, the only picture was that of the fly box.... Still funny to me.

The rest of the pictures are wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to show the waters that you fish. They are truly beautiful, as are the trout.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

Wayne - I figured that was the case. I was farting around with the other photo links for quite a while. I kept saving the post and resubmitting it so I did not loose all of the edits. I still need to add in some other photos from Summerfest. Check back later to see the other photos.

Bill (roadkill) - Thanks for the link. It enjoyed rereading the open letter. That is a great gift idea! Just what the doctor ordered...

Hank - :lol: :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 am

Man Ray, I was just getting over Roscoe and beginning to come home, then you go and post this? :D ;)

Great report and photos. Thanks for sharing them.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Excellent post. The waters look very inviting and the fish are lovely. Thanks for sharing! :)