Good day....pic heavy

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Good day....pic heavy

Post by Smuggler » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:57 am

hankaye wrote: He also treats his curly-q's with Mucilin.
Yea, that is worth mentioning. It's quite a project to fish them properly without the Mucilin. Thank you, Hank!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 am

Smuggler, Howdy;

;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:40 am

Smuggler,
That is an interesting strike indicator. Are you fishing with those while swinging the fly? How long of a cast can you affectively use the coil indicator? Thanks. Otto
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

Otto,

I usually don't swing flies with that set up simply due to the fact that you can't pick up on as many strikes. I use it for fishing wet flies upstream and letting it dead drift back down, or fishing micro currents and even pocket water.
When I think about fishing this set up on the swing, you could make it work by maybe shortening the number of coils when making them, I wouldn't see why not. There's just not as much tension between your flies and leader. It may prove to be just more of a nuisance than anything though. I'd just keep it simple and stick with what you know on swinging flies.

Casting a set up like this doesn't require anything special, and you can get some wicked good drifts with these. I use an 11ft rod pretty much wherever I fish, so that extra length plays a good part in helping with setting up drifts too. Where I fish I rarely need to cast more than 30 foot, but I've used these on a river that I fish north of me where 50 foot casts are pretty common and I didn't have any problems with flipping this rig out in the current.

I takes practice to keep a keen eye on the indicator for strikes I'll say that much. Sometimes I'll watch the curly's on top of the water and sometimes I'll watch the bottom knot where it's incorporated into the leader, whichever is easier. When I first read about these I instantly turned my nose up at the idea, I thought it was just some new stupid way of dredging deep runs and such with heavy flies. Finally when I decided to really give it a run through I was pleased I did. It's highly customizable to your liking and if you fish wet flies upstream you can't beat it. Give it a go, I don't think you'll be let down.
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 am

Smuggler,
That sounds pretty interesting and I will give a go for sure! Thanks for the explanation and I will keep you posted.