My first post here, fishy too

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Flykuni

My first post here, fishy too

Post by Flykuni » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Here's a flymphy story, of '08. Eastern Sierra, end of the season, and I was fishing with new pal Brian and his wonder dog (seen below). We're on Upper Owens river, a spring creek affair that flows through the middle of the remnants of one of the largest super volcano eruptions in No. American geo history, the fabled Long Valley Caldera. Ejecta landed in Kansas.

The river is running low at the end of the year, with fished over fish. Hard to tell but there's also a ripping wind. Brian is fishing downstream. I'm behind him fishing a nice bend with undercut banks. And there are hatching caddis where I'm fishing.

Could not get them on pupae, though they were flashing and swirling right in front of me. My drifts were good, but no takers. I went to the soft hackle box. I put on a #18 somewhat-olive flymph. Partridge hackle, amber thorax, a bi-color, a black TMC hook, barbless. First cast -- swirly taker, missed. Next few casts, instant action. And a real goodie took. He ran downstream and the Granger throbbed. It was a good throb.

Very nice site, gents.
Last edited by Flykuni on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: My first post here, fishy too

Post by letumgo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Welcome aboard, Flykuni. I really enjoyed reading your post and viewing these photos. I look forward to seeing your participation in the future. Post flies, ask questions, offer advice, or simply enjoy. Beautiful fish!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Welcome Flykuni,
Really good to see you here. Keep on posting.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:47 am

'bout time you turned up.... ;)

nice looking place and a nice looking fish...
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:54 am

Heckuva first post! We'll have some good reads if you keep this up. Welcome!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Flykuni

Post by Flykuni » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 pm

The fly that took that nice brown above is my avatar. No name, rough thing, on a #18 TMC 103BL, one of my favorite hooks. I also love that 206BL. Wish the #24 was available in the US. Have had to order from England to get them -- anyone know an American source for them? It's a fantastic design, IMHO.

I can see now why it worked with hatching sedges. I had thought it was a mayfly pattern, thought the shuck, rough abdomen and bicolor feature made it a mayfly emerger, but it's clearly suited for the caddis. Maybe it's bi.

Thorax is creamy (not amber) Haretron, great stuff. With a rough dub -- I used to do loops all the time but have lapsed into laziness with touch dubbing and rough twists onto thread -- the guard hairs went wild on this one tie. I used one of the uppermost of feathers from (my first) partridge neck. They have nice coloration, grayish-blue, some variegationness, just the right size too. I tend to save flies that have worked or have caught memorable fish at memorable times. I'll keep this one.

My box of softies is a rough thing. I've tied such flies for only a few years now. But I have great faith in them. And I love them as wets, emergers, attractors, spinners, in moving water or in lakes. And so traditional. That's important to me.
Last edited by Flykuni on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Lovely looking water, Flykuni.

Welcome aboard. You're going to fit right in (but don't let Mike see the beads on your soft hackles :lol: )

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Flykuni

Post by Flykuni » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

You know, I used to eschew the beady fly. Then I found out how much easier it is to fish a subsurface fly with the weight at the end of the tippet. Even if it is a crappie jig. It was a revelation to take off the split shot, feel safe that the lead or brass was at the end of the apparatus. The dreaded hinge was gone.

But FOAM. Good god, save us from the test tubular mad Three Mile Island scientist. And RUBBER LEGS. I cast not from behind the Monsanto curtain.
cholcomb

Post by cholcomb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:54 pm

Kuni....good to see you over here....nice post....I think I knows that bend....it's one of my favorite spots on that river.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 pm

FLYKUNI,
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE SIGNED ON TO THE BEST WEB-SITE IN THE WORLD FOR SOFT-HACKLES, FLYMPHS, AND ALL KINDS OF WET FLIES. YOU ALSO WILL BE CALLING ON A CORP OF MEN WHO HAPPEN TO BE THE BEST OF THE BEST! WE ARE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO YOU POST ON OCCASION. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! YOUR FIRST POST IS REALLY GOOD!
YOURS FROM THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.