A view of the Art of Sharing...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FliTrap

A view of the Art of Sharing...

Post by FliTrap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:40 pm

While the following quote is in reference of the various ways of fishing with a focus on fly fishing, I can only think that these words play equally well to the sharing of Fly Tying:

From Page 46, "The Art of Trout Fishing on Rapid Streams...."

"In the foregoing pages, our remarks have been generally directed to certain points which affect each particular mode of fishing, almost equally , — and having thus taken a hasty view of our subject as an Art, it will be necessary to retrace our extended steps, and, by pausing on such parts of our subject as require more particular explanations, to dilate on the details of each style of practice of our craft. Such points of detail will alone be dwelt on as experience suggests, to aid the novice, or stimulate the fisherman whose knowledge of fishing depends on observations acquired on large and quiet streams, and not on rapid brooks and streamlets. I trust our time will not be unprofitably occupied in considering separately the mode of using the different baits before alluded to, and going so far into the minutiae of the subject as seems to be practically beneficial, and in so doing, we will endeavour to keep our minds on the river, to sum up the actual experience of work, and enumerate special difficulties which practical acquaintance with the rod and line can alone afford. The results of labour thus given, may, it is hoped, prevent disappointments, enrich the mind of the novice with serviceable precepts, and teach him to make use of every favourable circum stance with best advantage to himself; and a right knowledge of the principles, will ensure the exercise of his reason and ingenuity, and, if we add but a little personal familiarity with the Art itself, we can confidently promise certain and speedy success to his labours.

I read that several times through.... Feels good! What ye all thinks?
Food for Thought!
FliTrap
michaelgmcgraw

Re: A view of the Art of Sharing...

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Where do I enter "LIKE"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 pm

FliTrap, Howdy;

Feels like a comfortable, well broken in coat. Fits nicely 8-) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

The author's syntax and vocabulary is slightly less convoluted than that of yours truly, but it does accurately convey the spirit of friendship and sharing that pervades this forum ;) .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"