Swinging Flies: How Often Do You Mend?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Swinging Flies: How Often Do You Mend?

Post by Old Hat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Yep. It is all about presenting the fly to the fish the way they want it. The more techniques you know to show them the fly the greater chance you will present the fly correctly.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
FliTrap

Re: Swinging Flies: How Often Do You Mend?

Post by FliTrap » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Just as important to have a number of "casting skills" in your pocket, its also important to lock into those little differences that "just happen" right before hooking that last fish! While we talk of using a specific presentation, its what happens to our line, the leader and the fly as it reacts to each change in current, obstacles, the lighting.... and on and on! I will say, its an large number.... the times that I "thought" I was doing it right... with little positive results... that on the verge of giving up, moving on or going home... when things come together. It may be changing to replicate one of those variations in my own presentation or standing by, in observation of another person. Or even just stopping, to reassess the waters, fish, even my flies.
Once they start.... consistently taking.... lock in on each detail.
P.S.
When in doubt, never discount the value of standing still in the river.... with a otherwise, deemed, "hopeless fly", simply hanging on the "dangle", as you gaze in wonderment into your fly box in thought: "What the H____ do I try next!
FliTrap