Long Rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Re: Long Rods

Post by narcodog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 pm

I wonder if there is a site where one can obtain a formula for the furled lines.I had contact with a person that is willing to try his hand at it.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks, Mike.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 am

narcodog wrote:I wonder if there is a site where one can obtain a formula for the furled lines.I had contact with a person that is willing to try his hand at it.
I don't know a site but in the book of Darrel Martin: The Fly-Fisher's Craft he explains how to make a furled leader.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am

narcodog,

You can find just about anything you want to know about furled leaders here: http://furledleaders.proboards.com/index.cgi?, and like any other forum, if you have questions, just ask.

Mike,

Joining together several segments of varying thicknesses is how I make my furled lines. One other advantage of loop and tenkara rods is that I don't have to worry about knots going through guides. I live in a small apartment and don't have room for a full sized furled leader jig, so I use a 3' long piece of scrap wood and a few pushpins to furl several segments, which I then knot together. This also allows me to vary the materials as easily as the thickness, so I can go from just a few strands of clear 2# test mono at the tippet end and gradually increase the number of mono strands while adding a few strands (and subsequently, a few more) of very visible fluorescent chartreuse or orange tying thread in each segment till I get all the way back to the rod end. If the whole thing is clear I can't see the line and thus can't see subtle takes; and if the whole thing is very visible, I think it scares the fish.

After my comment Friday about trying Daniel's furled line again, I fished with it for a time on Saturday and realized that I had forgotten how well it turns over a fly and how softly it lands. Yesterday I made a 10' furled line that varies from 4 strands of 2# mono at the tippet end (two strands in each leg) to 12 strands of mono and 8 strands of fluorescent chartreuse 70 denier thread at the rod end. I figure I can add 2 to 4' of 5x to get a 12 to 14' line for my 11, 12 and soon to be 13' rods.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:27 pm

narcodog,

I'm glad you like the line, but I found it so frustrating to untwist it after snagging that I've put it away for the time being.

After reading Chris' post and PM, I ransacked my collection of leaders and tips to find something that would work. While it is less elegant than either the Tenkara USA line or Chris' level line set-up, I settled upon using a 5' tapered poly leader (the clear Airflo "Hover" density neutral) joined to a 4' of 8lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon, and a finally a shorter length of 6x mono tippet. The heavy poly leader turns the vanish and tippet over easily and when I do snag the resulting break off doesn't require 15 minutes of line stroking to repair.

When I'm fishing little nymphs and softhackles in very skinny moss-and-bracken infested waters, snags are unfortunately part of the game.

Aaron

BTW I hooked Walter's little brother Sal this morning on the Ebisu, but the bugger did a runner under a fallen tree before I had a chance to pull him clear. At least I know where he's hiding out now :D.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am

Well, the long rod arrived today. I did some lawn casting and in just a few casts I think I got the hang of it. This evening I may go see if I catch some stockers.

If anyone would like to sell me some of the different lines that they have made, I would be glad to pay for them as I am not going to start another addiction right now,I hope :o
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am

Narco,

I'm liking my pole a whole lot. I've mostly been shallow water nymphing with it. It's already brought a ton of fish to hand, but the real fun of it is its simplicity--line, tippet, fly and rod. You can virtually carry the entire rig in your pocket. I'm already thinking that I need a 5:5 to go along with the 6:4. :roll:

Aaron
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

skunkaroo wrote:I'm already thinking that I need a 5:5 to go along with the 6:4. :roll:

Aaron

If the 5:5 is an Iwana, you do. :lol:
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Hey all,

I managed to test the 6:4 Ebisu on a beautiful 18" rainbow yesterday and it performed beautifully. The rod took the stress of its repeated lunges into the depth and the tippet held fast. I've only one poor shot on my camera (someone offered to "help"), but I'll have to upload it when I return to my place next week.

Aaron
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm

I managed to catch quite a few sizable creatures using the Ebisu since I last posted. I fished dries, soft hackles and czech nymphs, and while the dry took the largest percentage, the heavy nymphs brought the largest fish to hand (including a number of Rocky Mountain Whitefish). I am quite comfortable with the 6:4 ratio now. It can handle larger fish, still has the sensitivity I like, and "casts" very much like a moderate fast flyrod. I'm going to experiment with a slightly longer and heavier line to see if spey casting is viable (for long line presentations).

Anyway, here is one of the larger specimens brought to hand with the Tenkara

and a smaller whitefish

and finally a more typical sized fish with the rod as a reference