Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

greenock

Post by greenock » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi everyone just signed up after looking into soft hackles. Here's my first attempts at soft hackles so be kind :D . The only other wignless wet's i've tied and fished have been scotish wets like the katt mac, zulu and so on.

Double hackle

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: new member

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi,
I think you have done really great for first attempts. I foresee you falling in love with these flies, especially once you use them. There is no doubt in my mind your flies will catch fish. Keep up the great work, and have fun. Also welcome to the forum.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
greenock

Post by greenock » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Cheers mate. They are for still water thats why i went with a bit longer hackle. I like the idea of the soft hackle and flymphs any books you would recomend?
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Yes, but I don't do a lot of still-water fishing, but there are others around that do. I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.

Tying and Fishing Soft-hackled Nymphs by Allen Mcgee is a good one.

Also The Handbook of North Country Trout Flies by Roger Fogg

One I like, not only about tying, but fishing as well is Bob Wyatt's Trout Hunting, The Pursuit of Happiness. There's some great soft-hackle( as well as other kinds) patterns there--Photos by Hans Weilenmann.

A General book on Fly fishing for trout is The Classic Guide to Fly-Fishing For Trout by Charles Jardine. Lots of info, great photos and lots of wonderful fly patterns with some really nice still-water patterns.

All good,
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 pm

WELCOME GREENOCK,
YOUR FLIES THAT YOU POSTED LOOK GREAT! ONE OF THE GOLDEN RULES IS YOU MUST KEEP TYING AND PHOTOGRAPHING AND POSTING WHAT YOU HAVE TIED FOR ALL THE REST OF US WHO ADMIRE GREAT WORK SUCH AS YOURS.....AND UNTIL I CAN GET THE CAMERA, SCANNER, AND COMPUTER TO COOPERATE ON MY END.
KEEP THEM COMING,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:30 am

Welcome Greenock,

Nice tyings, could you upload the patterns please?

I just read the book of Davis Hughes: Wet flies. I think it is a verry good one mostly about river fishing but also tying wingless wets and traditional winged wetflies.

If you are interested in history I think the book of Leslie Magee: Fly fishing the north country tradition is e verry good one to buy.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
greenock

Post by greenock » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:06 am

Cheers lads the dressings are.

Fly 1
Tail: Badger
Body: Muskrat under fur
Hackle: English partridge

Fly 2
Tail and body: Pheasant tail
Rib: Copper wire
Thorax: Peacock herl
First hackle: English partridge
Second hackle: Starling

Fly 3
Tail and body: Pheasant tail
Rib: Copper wire
Thorax: Peacock herl
Hackle: English partridge
Wingcase: Pheasant tail
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:06 am

Welcome aboard, greenook! Looks like your going to fit in nicely. Beautiful set of soft hackle flies. If these are the first you've tyed, your a "natural". I am looking forward to seeing more of your flies in the future.

EDIT - What make, model and size hook did you use for these?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
greenock

Post by greenock » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks letumgo the hooks are Kamasan b175 size 10's.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 am

A big welcome, Greenrock. Nice patterns. That last pheasant body fly is my favorite of the bunch. Keep posting and you'll get some very knowledgeable feedback.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com