Weeds, weeds, weeds and low water

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Weeds, weeds, weeds and low water

Post by paparex » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I tried to fish a stretch of a local stream yesterday. The plant growth is healthy and the water is marginally high but fish able. Can you share techniques for fishing such water?. Midges and white tricos yesterday. White millers at dark. No fish action on top. The water has a fair amount of particulate matter with lots of "moss" breaking away
Roadkill

Re: Weeds, weeds, weeds and low water

Post by Roadkill » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Is this flat water or riffles? Do the weeds break the surface? Are there feeding lanes running through the weeds? Is It wadeable? :?:

Sounds like a case for short line indicator or straight line nymphing if the weeds go to the top. Otherwise why not swing some Flymphs or soft hackles. A small Stewart's spider in the midge colors might do the trick as well as a sunken Trico.
paparex

Re: Weeds, weeds, weeds and low water

Post by paparex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Yes, it was wadeable. I had entered the stream at the wrong point if I wanted to fish downstream. It was up stream all evening. I'll try to remember that the next time. There were some feeding lanes, but most was a steady gradient change with weeds to almost the top. The feeding lanes weren't productive for me, but it was only one stretch and one part of the day.

I had left (how do I admit this?) the box with Stewarts Blacks and Slys Midges in the truck. Slys Midges usually work fantastic in this stream, all year 'round. Still I attempted to swing a spider or two and hare's ear SH but would love to watch someone who knows what they are doing fish the water.