New member from NW Ireland

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Troutmaddave

New member from NW Ireland

Post by Troutmaddave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:04 am

Hi good folks of the forum!
My name is dave and I live, work and fish in county sligo in the rep of Ireland. Born in UK in 1965. Stonemason by trade. I have been fly fishing 3 years now and tying for about a year. County sligo is a great county for fishing containing several great rivers and small streams. The Ballysadare river, unchin, owenmore and the river Moy are all within 20 mins drive from my house.
I tie and fish mainly NC spiders in the mountain streams near my house with my trusty 7' 3 weight split cane rod. Couples with a hardy viscount 140 and a Barrio DT fly line.
I am really passionate about the spiders, easy to tie and very effective, there is just something about their simplicity that I love. Looking at some of the flies tied on here reminds me theat I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me
Tight lines
Dave
GONE FISHING
tie2fish

Re: New member from NW Ireland

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:28 am

Welcome to the Flymphforum, Dave. New members, especially those from abroad are always good to see. Your description of the region where you live is intriguing -- perhaps you will share some photos your favorite waters? Please don't be shy about contributing.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:09 am

Welcome Dave. I hope we hear some adventures on the stream from your corner of the globe.
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:05 am

Hello, Dave!
A hearty welcome from Southeast Texas. I look forward to seeing what you have share. We're always glad to see new faces.

Kirk
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:28 am

Welcome aboard Dave. I am glad you found out little forum and have decided to join in and introduce yourself. Make yourself at home, and feel free to join in the conversation. Questions, comments, feedback, stories and photos are all welcome and encouraged. Please look around each section of the forum. You will quickly see you are among friends, who also love North Country spiders. I'd like to draw your attention to a one post you may really enjoy seeing. Yorkshire Spiders: John Shaner Collection

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ner#p71102

You may also want to check out Donald Nicholson's website: http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

A couple years ago, he sent me copies of all of the information on his website and I combined all of the information into a large compendium, adding hyperlinks to make it easy to navigate to specific sections of the book (333 pages long). What an amazing reference. The reference can be download for future reference to your computer, kindles, tablets, e-readers, etc.

Link To Combined Document (Warning - VERY LARGE FILE - It will take a while to download):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B891ZI ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your participation in the future. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:41 am

Troutmaddave, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've a bit of Heaven for fishin'.
4 Rivers to choose from the only one around here gets filled in June
for irrigation and dries up around October or November till the next
cycle starts.
Thanks for checking in and introducing yourself.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:17 am

Welcome Dave! Great to see you have joined and jumped right in.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Troutmaddave

Post by Troutmaddave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Feel at home already. At the moment I'm trying to fish only spiders for the whole season. Foolish or inspired not quite sure yet. Rivers here are very low at the moment so it's a struggle. Having to head way upstream to the pocket waters of the mountain streams. Great fun, small fish. I'll post some pics when I sus how.
Tight lines
Dave
GONE FISHING
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Troutmaddave wrote:Hey guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Feel at home already. At the moment I'm trying to fish only spiders for the whole season. Foolish or inspired not quite sure yet. Rivers here are very low at the moment so it's a struggle. Having to head way upstream to the pocket waters of the mountain streams. Great fun, small fish. I'll post some pics when I sus how.
Tight lines
Dave

A few years back I devoted the year to Spiders, Flymphs and Soft Hackles. It was a fun experiment. Fish numbers remained the same according to my journal. Size of fish were down a little.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Dave, what about you then? Welcome aboard.
You say Co. Sligo is a great county for fishing- it just might be the best. Wonderful game fishing, coarse fishing and access to the inshore coastal "food basket" of the NW coast.
A couple of pretty famous Salmon rivers, Sea run trout, Loughs with free rising brown trout, large veracious Pike....... somewhat of a fly fishers paradise.

You may be somewhat used to it being a Mason by trade, but when you get the photo thing sorted, please intrigue us with some photos of your work and the wondrous stone buildings of Ireland as well as the odd fishing related photographic essay. Both will be novel and new to the majority of us here.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.