Sunny Morning and a Fish Story About Tenkara Carp

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Sunny Morning and a Fish Story About Tenkara Carp

Post by letumgo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I woke early this morning and headed off to another stream, in hopes of catching a few fish. I decided to go light, and do some Tenkara fishing.

This little guy smacked a rams wool leech, teased past some rocks along the far bank.

As I mentioned in another post, we really need some rain. The creek is really getting low.
This branch of the creek normally has water flowing in it, but it is currently dry.
The white band around this rock shows you where the normal water level is (roughly 8 to 10 inches deeper).

I think this is one of Johnno's small soft hackles. Thanks John. This fly worked like a charm.
You can see the fly hanging from this little guys mouth.
A few minutes later I caught one of his cousins. I know it looks like the same fish, but it isn't.

Later in the morning, as I was walking back to the car and I came across a deep pool that had a bunch of carp lazily drifting about it it. The water was very clear, and I had a good vantage point along the bank, so I stood watching them for 15 to 20 minutes. It was kind of hypnotic to watch them swim around. I decide to give them a try with a soft hackle fly. I decided to try a soft hackle fly with creamy tan hackle. I cast the fly out, and let it slowly sink down into the pool. The current was very slow, so I could watch the fly slowly descend thru the water column. As I watched, one of the carp noticed the fly, changed directions and headed towards the fly. I gently raised the tip of my rod, just a little bit, to cause the fly to pulse with life. Then let it hang for a second while the carp closed the gap. She sucked in the fly, and I raised the rod tip setting the hook.

FISH ON!

She shot off towards the other side of the pool and I held back on the rod, trying to turn the fish before running out of line. I dashed after her, rod held high, but I couldn't keep up. She was way too strong and at the last second I had to let go of the rod, to keep from breaking the line. The fish quickly swam upstream, dragging my tenkara rod in tow. :o :shock: :D

The cork handle of my rod dragged swiftly across the surface of the pool, creating a wake as it went. The image reminded me of the scene from the movie Jaws, where they had harpooned the shark with the float barrels. :D :lol:

After chasing down my rod, I grabbed the handle and slowly put pressure on the fish. I was able to turn the fish and raise the rod high enough to get into the stronger section of the rod. Slowly I worked the fish up and down the pool, until I had tired her and I felt I could grab the line and draw her in without breaking the line. Fortunately I was able to get out my net and scoop her up after a couple tries. Believe it or not, I caught this fish on 5X tippet.

WHAT A FIGHT! (See Chris - I told you I was stupid enough to try to catch a carp on a tenkara rod. :D)

Lance - Is this one of your flies from our recent swap? If not, it may be one of Doug or Bill's flies. I don't think I tied this one.

Okay, here is one last photo of some beautiful "Forget Me Nots", which caught my eye as I walked along the stream yesterday. I just got around to downloading the photos.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
gingerdun

Re: Sunny Morning and a Fish Story About Tenkara Carp

Post by gingerdun » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Wow! What a gorgeous fish. And story.
Doesn't look like my hook, alas.

Lance
cassady

Post by cassady » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, you've proved me wrong!

I couldn't imagine how you'd get through the initial run (and I was thinking 10#, not 5x tippet!)... I hadn't thought of letting go of the rod!

Great job!
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 am

What a great story, Ray, and marvelous photo documentation. Good thing, though, that the water was low and the fish had limited room to roam ;) .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 am

Ray, Howdy;

Thanks for the chuckle this morning with the coffee :lol: .
I can only imagine the expression on your face when you
realized that you had much more fish then you did rod or
tippet ... :shock: ... :o but, what would we expect form
someone that used to keep their worms in their pockets :roll: :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 am

Bill - Your absolutely right. Had this been on the edge of the lake, I would likely be shopping for a new rod this morning. This is not a stunt I would attempt near deep water, or when the stream has many people on it. I was all over that pool, trying to subdue this fish. Fortunately I had the stream all to myself yesterday, and the water was only belly button deep in the deepest parts. Generally speaking, easy wading conditions.

Hey, is that your fly I caught this fish on? Lance said it was not his. I noticed the barb was crushed down, which makes me think it was one of yours.

hankaye wrote:I can only imagine the expression on your face when you realized that you had much more fish then you did rod or tippet ... :shock: ... :o
Hank - These are exactly the moments I live for! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Carp on soft hackles?! Now that's crazy fun!

Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 am

I can only imagine the look on your face when you hooked into that. Nice job staying with it!
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:52 pm

This great story brings a smile to my face!! :lol:

I think I would have tested the breaking strength of the tippet before letting a fish take off with my rod. ;)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Ray,
This is a fantastic post! I really enjoyed it! There is one thing you forgot to mention in this great tale! With the low, clear water and the spooky nature of these brutes, you would have had to put it in Ninja mode to get anywhere near them! Give yourself a pat on the back for this unmentioned and remarkable start to the story!
Way to go Ray! This kind of posting makes my happy all over! And, that's alot of happy!
Yours in the den,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Bill - Good advice. :D ;)

I had forgotten that the last time I used my Tenkara rod, I had been fishing for small panfish. I was fishing a light foam soft hackle pattern, using 5X tippet (see my "Mad Hatter" post). I had simply changed flies, without giving the tippet size much thought. After I landed the carp, it dawned on me that I had been using 5X tippet. Fortunately tenkara rods are so flexible.

Doug - There should be a couple "Mad Hatter" soft hackle in the flies I sent you. I hope you will give them a try on your pond.