Fly wallet
4A174C97-AC8C-4FFC-A5C6-6E10C04341D8.jpeg (342.14 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Soft and wet - the only way....
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Team of flies but no droppers.

Post by letumgo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Dana,

The next time we get together, I would like to make a video recording of your set-up. I think this would be an excellent tutorial on the loop-to-loop set-up. Wish I had thought of that when we were together earlier this summer.

Do you think we could convince Ivan to do a couple educational tutorials at some point?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Believe it or not, I think he’s coming around. I’m sure you read the Leisenring /Hidy letters: his “tone” and demeanor share a strikingly similar vein, almost like listening to Big Jim! But he is “mellowing” a bit......I plan on spending the day with him next week, I will broach the subject with him, and let you know how it goes.

There is a deep run on the Lackawaxen called “Miller’s Hole” .......do you know that he will not go into that pool, because “that’s where the Miller’s fish”?

Red Miller and his father fished there in the 1950’s......And he still won’t!

Dana
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 am

letumgo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:10 pm Dana,

The next time we get together, I would like to make a video recording of your set-up. I think this would be an excellent tutorial on the loop-to-loop set-up. Wish I had thought of that when we were together earlier this summer.

Do you think we could convince Ivan to do a couple educational tutorials at some point?
I, for one, am all giddy with anticipation of such a tutorial being produced. Seriously, that would be 'don't miss TV'.
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:51 pm

I would love to see the tutorial as well. I would also love to learn the method of getting my collars to sweep back along the length of the fly as Dana shows in his box . I try to press the hackles rearward and they still point outward somewhat. C'mon Theroe , what's the secret? They look too fishy to me to not try it.
Attachments
4A174C97-AC8C-4FFC-A5C6-6E10C04341D8.jpeg
4A174C97-AC8C-4FFC-A5C6-6E10C04341D8.jpeg (196.15 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 am

One thing only lightly tickled here, in rigging and then fishing multiple flies at a time, is the type rod used along with casting style. I tend to do much better with a slower.... full length action rod to fish several flies as they tend to present a more open casting loop. By being more open in the loop, you will catch your other flies far less often. Bamboo and fiberglass are by nature, easier to use for this. some will shift to a longer rod, thus having the leverage to turn the leader over while still producing a more open loop in their back cast. By the same token, a softer, lighter wt rod will be more effective, in general. The faster, tip action rods tend to through tight loops that will drag your tailing hook into your upper line, with the help of wind, of even your efforts to "slow down your casting" for a more gentle deposit of the fly.
Not saying it can't be done.... just that (myself included) many have less then the best casting skills!
LOL.... all of that said, I tend to still lean towards a 9', Winston 8 wt rod, with mid-flex actions, to beat the wind, and often freezing temps to work the wide waters of the White river System here in Missouri and Arkansas! ---- By contrast, its an Orvis, full flex, 6'-6", 4-wt for those quiet little streams I seek in my travels!

With any rod, if you're catching a lot of knots, tangling and such, try to open your back casting loop a bit (Not to point of collapsing...LOL) and see if that helps! Or even up size rod weight to be able to simply "pick it up and lay it down....". Less loops... less tangles!

Something to thing about, on the other end of the rod!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 am

FliTrap,

This is very good advice and timely feedback. I was fishing a team of flies this past weekend, and did encounter issues with tangles of the three fly set-up. In hind sight, I was fishing a fast action graphite rod. The tighter loops may have been part of the issue. I would have probably been better served by using my bamboo or fiberglass rods (much slower action).

Makes me want to go fishing again, just to put things to the test...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 pm

hmm - i never get tangles, and I am NOT a particularly great caster. I do believe the custom leader works wonders, at least in my case!!
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Theroe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 pm hmm - i never get tangles, and I am NOT a particularly great caster. I do believe the custom leader works wonders, at least in my case!!
The action of the rod has a lot to do with casting a team of flies as is the length. A ideal rod is a nice slow action 10ft or longer. Not being rude to anyone but most casters couldn’t cast a tight loop if they tried. Short dropper length will also help. I’m a FFF casting instructor and I still get the occasional tangle when casting a “ team” of flies😎. Add a indicator and it turns into “chuck and duck”.
You can’t convince me that there is a formula to construct a leader that’s why there are so many formulas out there, maybe they all work?
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:49 pm

letumgo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 am FliTrap,

This is very good advice and timely feedback. I was fishing a team of flies this past weekend, and did encounter issues with tangles of the three fly set-up. In hind sight, I was fishing a fast action graphite rod. The tighter loops may have been part of the issue. I would have probably been better served by using my bamboo or fiberglass rods (much slower action).

Makes me want to go fishing again, just to put things to the test...
What day should I swing up your way to go fish? LOL Best if we have a witness the others would believe.... know anyone else close by?