To Cane A Trout

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

To Cane A Trout

Post by joaniebo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 pm

I love fishing bamboo fly rods and ever since I first saw the Hardy video "The Lost World of Mr. Hardy", I've tried to find a video called "To Cane A Trout."

Finally found it tonight:

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/cane-trout
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: To Cane A Trout

Post by letumgo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Thank you for sharing this video. I just watched it, end-to-end, with great interest. Fascinating seeing all the craftsmanship that goes into a fine cane rod.

I had already seen the other Hardy film you mentioned. Good stuff!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am

This is my very favorite video I've ever seen (not the same video as "To Cane a Trout"). My apologies if it's been previously posted.

Bob

https://vimeo.com/25297005
Last edited by joaniebo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 am

Very touching indeed. I can identify with that.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm

letumgo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm Fascinating seeing all the craftsmanship that goes into a fine cane rod.
Real craftsmen don't make all the shortcuts shown in this film. Ask Tom Smithwick or Ruard or Boris; they put in a lot more care and effort in their rods. At least I believe they do. Nobody would pay the prices of factory made rods if they were made in that careful way.

Nice film though.

dd
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm

The film really shows the production method of producing a cane rod. Nothing wrong with it, but DD is right that the way they prepare the strips would not work for someone hand planing to finish sizes. What we need is not necessarily dead straight strips. we need straight grained strips, and the best way to insure that you get them is to hand split and heat straighten the nodal areas. They, on the other hand do need dead straight strips to lay well on the bed of the milling machine that cuts the final taper. Somewhat cross grained strips that would give me a fit will go right through the milling machine without a problem. They do have a significant advantage in speed up to the point where the strips get glued up, then they have to do things much the same as we do, and they exhibit a lot of skill in the process. I would like to adopt the lady doing the rod wrapping. Cutting the cork with a straight razor? I think I'll pass on that, but the guy looked pretty good. One thing that did strike me is the amount of cane that ended up in the trash. It must be nice to buy the stuff wholesale. 2 poles for one rod?? I can sometimes get 3 rods out of one pole if it's really good stuff. I personally prefer the look of a hand crafted rod, with short, straight grained nodes and fine grained fibers on the cane surface, and an argument could be make that such a rod is physically stronger. However, the differences are subtle, and mostly appreciated by others who are into making them rather than the general angling public.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:36 pm

For all you cane rod lovers, be on the lookout for a documentary called "Chasing the Taper." It's due out soon and is probably the very best film ever about bamboo rod culture. Tom, you may have heard about it. It's not so much about how a rod is made as it is about the makers and what drives them.

Here's a link to the trailer. http://tinboatproductions.com/portfolio ... cumentary/
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

John - I am waiting with worms on my tongue (baited breath) for that film to come out. I have seen a bit more than what is in the trailer, and it's really well done. It is not about the rod making process, but as you noted, is about some of well known people who make the cane rods and their connections to the great makers of the past. It will not be released until early next year, after it has shown at some film festivals. I will be one of the first in line. I am somewhat, OK, a lot prejudiced, but I would not be surprised if it won some awards at the festivals.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Tom, as you may have figured out already, I played a small part in the film and have worked with Mark and Jan since early in the process. They recently sent me a copy of the final cut but I can’t share it yet for obvious reasons.
There are parts of the film that are quite poignant and emotional. I’m really looking forward to seeing how it is received by the public.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 am

Wow Guys!
Thank you for the heads up on these interesting films! I will check these out soon and as soon as "Chasing the Taper" makes a showing, I will watch it also! John, glad to hear that you have had a small part in this one!
These are exciting times with lots of things to take in and enjoy!
Happy in the den,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.