Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Howdy All;

I became intrigued by John Shanner's fishing helmet. Nosed around in the googleweb
and found the following;

https://books.google.com/books?id=cNk9A ... et&f=false

Goes back aways ... and also provides more to the adage about the Military
is responsible for a huge amount of what we take as everyday stuff.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 pm

letumgo wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 pm John - Do you know what length rod Ernie was fishing? It looks very long (10 footer?)
Ray,

I remember that rod well. It was a T&T Paradigm 8' 5 weight Bamboo. Ernie was poster boy for T&T at the time and Barry Beck was doing a photoshoot. One of the photos ended up on the cover of Fly Fisherman Magazine the next year. I was in the original photo but of course was cropped out! It was as close as I ever came to being on a magazine cover...... Ernie was always nice to me and he actually was a very, very good angler; he cast a beautiful smooth line and knew every bug in the river by name. An entire generation of anglers grew up on his writing and while there's some controversy around him, mostly from people who didn't know him, he did a tremendous job of bringing fly fishing to a large audience through his writing.
Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:43 am

John,

I have an old VHS - that dates me - of Earnie and Geoff Thomas of NZ, fishing the Rangitikei River on the North Island. Its an interesting episode for many reasons but not least of all for the fly tying by the stream without a vice. I've always liked that episode for its varied and interesting content.

Of course, Earnie wears his signature hat.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 am

I'm neither a pin man nor a bat man but a hat man. I like the British fishing helmet but all forum members should fish with style, using a Big Jim Hat. What is this style of hat called, do you know?

Myself, in my adult daily life, wear a light soft mesh baseball cap under a wool lined waxed cotton Hardy hat. This combination protects both my head, my glasses, eyes and hearing aids and make me stand out from the crowd. It is not very dissimilar to how Big Jim looks.

8-)

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 am

dd, Howdy;

The Hat that Big Jim is wearing in the photo looks somewhat like
a Bucket Hat, see link;
https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/ ... t-hat.html
I think the one shown on Jim's head is made of cotton (?), maybe
Lance can weigh in on this ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm

T hank s.

The crown on his hat seems more rounded than those bucket hats.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am

Lol. I love it. We lose so much information on this forum do the fact none of us can ever stay on topic. From the "Upstream Wet Fly" to "Hats for Soft Hackle Fishing" with a little bit of Ernie's T&T cane thrown in for good measure. Let's not ever change that.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm

There is so much going on in this thread and almost all of it is awesome.

I have a couple points of contention however. First, the obnoxious clacking of a Hardy reel is just noise pollution for everyone else on the stream, like loud motorcycles in a neighborhood, or cigarettes in a restaurant. And the measure of a man is clearly the quality and condition of his dress shoes. :lol: :lol:

You guessed it, for my New Year's resolution, I've decided on a decidedly self-harm and scorched-earth policy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm

William Anderson wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm There is so much going on in this thread and almost all of it is awesome.

I have a couple points of contention however. First, the obnoxious clacking of a Hardy reel is just noise pollution for everyone else on the stream, like loud motorcycles in a neighborhood, or cigarettes in a restaurant. And the measure of a man is clearly the quality and condition of his dress shoes. :lol: :lol:

You guessed it, for my New Year's resolution, I've decided on a decidedly self-harm and scorched-earth policy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!
The click of the Hardy and the sounds of silk line going through the guides are like a symphony.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm

narcodog wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm The click of the Hardy and the sounds of silk line going through the guides are like a symphony.
Amen.
Bob