Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:09 pm

I have several silent Loop reels but mostly use my Medalist and Hardys. Maybe it is a generation thing, or at least an age thing. When you get older you need more stimuli to realize that something has stolen your fly.

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm

With all of this worshiping at the birthplace of one's reels, it is no wonder that many folks consider fly fishers to be elitists. ;) :twisted:
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:07 pm

The Andersons stand united. The purr of a Hardy when reeled in is reasonably pleasant, but the sqawking scream as line strips out can be quite annoying in quiet places. When I hear that out-of-control clickity clack, I can't help but think, "Hey! Look at me! I'm catching a fish!". Perhaps it's because, at the time, I'm not catching a fish.

My favorite reels are the quietest known to man or beast. And, among the lightest. They are totally silent both when reeled in or stripped out. They're the first generation Ross fly reels, the RR series, made in Etna, CA...

Sorry John...

PhilA (nderson)
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Nice torpedo grip on that rod. Surely, that must be what you wanted to show?

The only reel I would worship, and not even that, would be an Ogden Exchequer. I used to hate the sound from reels but I have muted it on mine. Not difficult at all.

PhilA, those are nice reels.

dd
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm PhilA, I don't judge a man by the reels he uses, only by what he drinks. ;)
John, well in that case...

PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm Serious note: I like seeing the mirror effect outside the beer's window of vision.
John
John,
Very observant! Only two beers are actually in that photo, with the other two being reflected images. ;)
Phil
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 am

Okay, let me have one of whatever you guys are having! As long as its not one of Phil's 😎 Cheers!
Oh, for the record, I like click and pawl reels and the sounds they make.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 pm

Phil, that rod looks suspiciously like a PHY Perfectionist, perhaps from the Summers era. You have good taste....... I've had mine for over 30 years and it's still an amazing stick.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Greenwell wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 pm Phil, that rod looks suspiciously like a PHY Perfectionist, perhaps from the Summers era.
Wow! Good eye. It's PHY #4036, a Perfectionist built by Bob Summers in 1962 (two years after Paul Young's death). Quite a remarkable rod. I've cast many Perfectionists, and this is the only one that in my hand is an honest 4wt. With aluminum ferrules and an all-cork grip, the finished rod weighs but 2.8 oz. It casts like a dream.

That Hopalicious beer ain't half bad either.

Phil
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 pm

My Perfectionist is a bit later, 4898, and like your's it is "perfection" with a 4 weight and one of the best casting rods I've ever owned. My experience is also that most Perfectionists are better suited to a 5 weight.
Do you have any other PHY rods? I'm a Leonard guy primarily but some of the modern makers like Per Brandin, Leon Hanson, and Chris Vance are really pushing the limits of what cane can do. Exciting stuff.........

John