Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm

T hank s.

The crown on his hat seems more rounded than those bucket hats.

dd
RobSmith1964

Post by RobSmith1964 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:33 pm

You can tell the quality of a man buy the style of hat he wears. Here is a photo of me somewhat hungover, trying to put a reel on my Moran rod. Opening day on the Wharfe 2012 i think. Sadly the hat blew off my head whilst fishing a Scottish loch, never to be seen again.
Opening-Day!.jpg
Opening-Day!.jpg (421.02 KiB) Viewed 217 times
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Rob, welcome to the new improved FlymphForum.

I always thought you could tell the quality of a fly fisher by whether or not he was using a Hardy reel or not. Half the fun of fighting a 2 pounder or greater is in the reel's sweet melody.

John
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am

Lol. I love it. We lose so much information on this forum do the fact none of us can ever stay on topic. From the "Upstream Wet Fly" to "Hats for Soft Hackle Fishing" with a little bit of Ernie's T&T cane thrown in for good measure. Let's not ever change that.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
RobSmith1964

Post by RobSmith1964 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 am

To get back to John’s original post. Over here in the UK, the old maxim of no more than 1½ to 2 lengths of line outside the rod tip, still holds sway when fishing upstream spiders. The problem is of course, everyone takes this advice as gospel, and routinely fishing with 1½ to 2 rod lengths of line irrespective of the stream conditions. Obviously confident that they are fishing the flies correctly as stated in the books. However, every yard of a river’s surface is subtly different. In certain situations, with this amount of line out you have not real contact with or control of the flies. An obvious example being pocket water, when it is imperative that you fish a shorter length of line, the same is true in certain sections of fast riffles.
Take as a case in point Oliver Edwards fishing upstream spiders in his Upstream Wet Fly DVD. Here he is fishing up through pocket water with around a rod length of line and 9ft leader. He doesn’t catch anything apart from a small suicidal stockie. Sadly, for Ollie he is fishing a section of river I know intimately. On this section of river, he simply needed to lengthen his leader whilst at the same time significantly shortening the amount of flyline outside the rod. The leader has less mass and so the effect of drag is dissipated. Giving him more control and keeping him in better touch with the flies. In an earlier footage, he is fishing a section of streamy water and it is obvious he again has no real control of his flies. As you can see his flyline bouncing around his rod tip between each short cast, making takes harder to detect. In this situation, he should have done the reverse, and lengthened the amount of flyline outside the rod tip. This would have allowed the extra yard of flyline to anchor on the surface, it sacrifices some element of drag but makes takes more obvious in their short drift.

With regards to the figure-of-eight hand retrieve of line, from a historical perspective I’m of the opinion that it wasn’t needed until the advent of the silk flylines with their better casting distances, coupled with the need to keep the lines dry. As my thrifty Yorkshire ancestors would be using horsehair lines and leaders which didn’t rot and were poor at distance casting. Fishing was undertaken at closer quarters, giving no real need for the figure-of-eight retrieve.
I like to use the figure-of-eight retrieve when fishing both upstream and downstream. Though I must admit, I do wonder what negative effect it has on my flyline. But that is probably me just being a tight Yorkshireman who doesn’t like to spend money on new flylines and hats.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm

There is so much going on in this thread and almost all of it is awesome.

I have a couple points of contention however. First, the obnoxious clacking of a Hardy reel is just noise pollution for everyone else on the stream, like loud motorcycles in a neighborhood, or cigarettes in a restaurant. And the measure of a man is clearly the quality and condition of his dress shoes. :lol: :lol:

You guessed it, for my New Year's resolution, I've decided on a decidedly self-harm and scorched-earth policy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm

William Anderson wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm

I have a couple points of contention however. First, the obnoxious clacking of a Hardy reel is just noise pollution for everyone else on the stream, like loud motorcycles in a neighborhood, or cigarettes in a restaurant. And the measure of a man is clearly the quality and condition of his dress shoes. :lol: :lol:

You guessed it, for my New Year's resolution, I've decided on a decidedly self-harm and scorched-earth policy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!
The click of the Hardy and the sounds of silk line going through the guides are like a symphony.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm

narcodog wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm
The click of the Hardy and the sounds of silk line going through the guides are like a symphony.
Amen.
Bob
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

William Anderson wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Cheers!!
William, I can't read what you said in your post.

Remember the ForumGhillie is a diehard Hardy nut. :lol: :lol:
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:09 pm

I have several silent Loop reels but mostly use my Medalist and Hardys. Maybe it is a generation thing, or at least an age thing. When you get older you need more stimuli to realize that something has stolen your fly.

dd