quill body hot spot scores

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

quill body hot spot scores

Post by ronr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Had two great days on the Crooked River yesterday and today...fished with a couple non-believers who haven't had the wet fly cool aid yet..Winter fishing on the Crooked can be testy... high wind yesterday, bright sun today, but the midges were hatching and the trout were rising to my little red beaded friend.

Might have made a couple converts this week...
quill body hot spot.JPG
quill body hot spot.JPG (254.71 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: quill body hot spot scores

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:30 pm

Success is power medicine! :D

I’m glad you got out and we’re catching fish. Nice!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:35 am

Great looking pattern ronr! And, I am glad it was so successful for you! If we think back on our own fly fishing beginnings, there was one or two instances or peoples that put us over the edge as far as seeing the light! After this, our enthusiasm soared and things were never the same! I hope you had the same influence on these "converts" with this simple but powerful pattern!
Good job friend!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:32 am

8-) 8-) ;) :D No surprise that you fly worked, good job!
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Soft hackles definitely are the ticket at times. I watched my oldest son last spring pluck a beautiful brown with a
GRHE with a partridge hackle from a pool that 2 guys thrashed for a half hr with dry flies. 2nd cast, 15 feet quartering upstream, on a dead drift. The fish was 15". Proud dad and shocked onlookers.
We won't forget that trip any time soon.
Dave
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:22 pm

A little red on small pattern is the ticket on the Crooked in the winter. A little warmer weather helps too. Perfect fly for the occasion it looks like to me.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:56 am

SenecaLaker wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:10 pm Soft hackles definitely are the ticket at times. I watched my oldest son last spring pluck a beautiful brown with a
GRHE with a partridge hackle from a pool that 2 guys thrashed for a half hr with dry flies. 2nd cast, 15 feet quartering upstream, on a dead drift. The fish was 15". Proud dad and shocked onlookers.
We won't forget that trip any time soon.
Dave
These are my favorite soft hackle stories.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:57 am

ronr wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 pm Had two great days on the Crooked River yesterday and today...fished with a couple non-believers who haven't had the wet fly cool aid yet..Winter fishing on the Crooked can be testy... high wind yesterday, bright sun today, but the midges were hatching and the trout were rising to my little red beaded friend.

Might have made a couple converts this week...quill body hot spot.JPG
Ron, this is beautifully done. I haven't tied with hot spots in some time but I should probably rethink that. It has definitely worked out well in the past.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 am

How small is he?
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 pm

The Crooked River is a small fly fishery.... I usually fish 16-20's.. this week's working duo was the 16 hot spot, and a 20 starling hackle.... the trout ate the hot spot and whitefish the smaller.