quill body hot spot scores

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: body hot-spot scores

Post by swellcat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks for the size info. Midges often skew toward the tiny, yet there are the relatively huge ones folks tie on #8s.
ronr

Re: quill body hot spot scores

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Swellcat... The Crooked is a small tailwater here in Central Oregon... having lived in TX for a long time and fished the Guadalupe in the winter for those put and take trout...I had a lot to learn when I moved here.
In the winter, the Crooked's flow is reduced to a trickle in order to accumulate water for the next years irrigation needs. Consequently, the water is super clear, the flows very low, and the insect life is pretty much limited to very small mayfly nymphs and some midge larva and pupa. There are some midge hatches and some winter mayflies, but both are small here... but for some reason, the fish will take slightly larger wet flies than basic nymphs and I can't see the size 20-24 dries needed to try and catch a fish on a dry.. so I swing wets when the fish are eating the emerging midges or small mayflies.
Thanks to Roadkill, I've been inspired to tie and learn to fish wet flies out here. Thanks to this forum, I'm way ahead of the learning curve had I not been shown the light....
RickA

Re: body hot-spot scores

Post by RickA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am

swellcat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:13 pm Thanks for the size info. Midges often skew toward the tiny, yet there are the relatively huge ones folks tie on #8s.
Ha! I'm on the upper Delaware system and we fish a size 4 soft hackle we call the "Delaware Midge" during the green drake spinner fall. It's all in the dark and drives other anglers nuts when they hear a screaming reel
and a call out to a friend " on a midge".
My DSLR took a swim in Labrador last summer but I'll be posting up some stuff when I get a new one.

... and ronr , very nice tie!