Presentation Methods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Presentation Methods

Post by Old Hat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 am

When actively swinging the fly is moving pretty good and I think the tension pulls the fly out. When swinging I keep a small loop in my line or just some slack behind my reel hand and when I get a strike, I don't set, but just let the slack or loop go. I think this lets the fish take the fly in for a better hook up. You have to be very aware of strikes but keeping a hand on the line helps with this as well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Old Hat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 am When actively swinging the fly is moving pretty good and I think the tension pulls the fly out. When swinging I keep a small loop in my line or just some slack behind my reel hand and when I get a strike, I don't set, but just let the slack or loop go. I think this lets the fish take the fly in for a better hook up. You have to be very aware of strikes but keeping a hand on the line helps with this as well.
That, and keeping the rod at 45 degree angle to the water both help. Keep the rod tip pointed at the fly with no slack when fishing downstream, and you'll hook very few fish.

That said, it's very easy to forget both points if you're used to fishing dries or streamers.

If you're fishing across, set the hook with a downstream sweep.
Bob
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Good tips guys... some days are better than others.