joaniebo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:38 am
Cookshill has packs of Golden Plover hackles available per Facebook posting:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6291599 ... 1/?fref=nf
Ordered two packs today! :D
upstatetrout

Re: Hendrickson Soft Hackles

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 am

The spun bodies look great John. You are now a fully trained and certified practitioner in the use of the William Anderson Clark Spinning Block :D ;) ;) ;) .

P.S. Certification certificate to follow promptly by snail mail.

Your friend.
Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:19 am

upstatetrout wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 am
The spun bodies look great John. You are now a fully trained and certified practitioner in the use of the William Anderson Clark Spinning Block :D ;) ;) ;) .

P.S. Certification certificate to follow promptly by snail mail.

Your friend.
Tom
Tom, thank you for acknowledging my certification. :)

I have 6 cards filled while watching boring NFL games. I would have more done but the Hawks - 49'ers game was too exciting, so I stopped production.

Packers have a buy week so I might crank out some more cards. Then let the flymph tying begin!!

For me, 2020 will be "The Year of the Flymph"!!
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am

I am just waiting to see who the Patriots will be playing in the New England Patriots Invitational Super bowl this year

Tom :lol: :lol: :roll: :!: !
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:48 am

So while playing with various dubbing mixes I decided to try tying 2 soft hackles from the same dubbing rope. Starting one at one end of the rope, cutting off in the center after wrapping on the hook shank and then starting the second fly from the other end of the dubbing rope. In this way I am wasting less of my Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread. :lol: :lol:

Both flies are tied on a size #12 Partridge wet fly hook.

2-fly.jpg
2-fly.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 884 times
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:08 pm

ForumGhillie wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:48 am
So while playing with various dubbing mixes I decided to try tying 2 soft hackles from the same dubbing rope. Starting one at one end of the rope, cutting off in the center after wrapping on the hook shank and then starting the second fly from the other end of the dubbing rope. In this way I am wasting less of my Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread.
I've been doing that for a while.

It helps if you keep that cut half of the rope in a hackle pliers until you need it for the next fly.

It still uses more thread than a dubbing loop.
Bob
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:33 pm

redietz wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:08 pm
ForumGhillie wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:48 am
So while playing with various dubbing mixes I decided to try tying 2 soft hackles from the same dubbing rope. Starting one at one end of the rope, cutting off in the center after wrapping on the hook shank and then starting the second fly from the other end of the dubbing rope. In this way I am wasting less of my Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread.
I've been doing that for a while.

It helps if you keep that cut half of the rope in a hackle pliers until you need it for the next fly.

It still uses more thread than a dubbing loop.
Bob,

That is exactly ihow I did it, using the hackle pliers and mine look better this way than if I used a dubbing loop.
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am

Those are great looking flies, sir. Nice photo too.

This is not intended to “hijack” your post at all. But the dubbing brushes- I haven’t quite come to understand the purpose. I know they’re a traditional method and, obviously, they make a great product. I use the split-thread technique with great effect and feel it could cut out lots of steps.

Again- not negating your post or practice at all, just discussing methods.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Hankinsfly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am

This is not intended to “hijack” your post at all. But the dubbing brushes- I haven’t quite come to understand the purpose. I know they’re a traditional method and, obviously, they make a great product. I use the split-thread technique with great effect and feel it could cut out lots of steps.

I use the split thread as well, along with dubbing loops. I never had an interest in silk or dubbing blocks.

I will be the first to admit, there are some fine looking patterns coming off those blocks.
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 am

DUBBN wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:31 pm
Hankinsfly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am

I use the split thread as well, along with dubbing loops. I never had an interest in silk or dubbing blocks.

I will be the first to admit, there are some fine looking patterns coming off those blocks.
I too have used a dubbing loop and I have tried split thread at times, but recently I have been focused on using the Clark dubbing block I received from William Anderson with YLI silk thread. I find i really like the way the spun bodies come out consistently.

soft-hackle.jpg
soft-hackle.jpg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 688 times