most productive soft hackle trout fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: most productive soft hackle trout fly

Post by Mike62 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Nicely done, Alan. I love that wee little thorax dubbing.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Alan - Those are simply superb! Gracefully dressed. ;)

Thanks Wayne. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Bob has a great approachand explained it beautifully. My most productive fly this season has been a variation of Richard walkers mayfly nymph tied as a wingless wet. We can use a three fly rig here in Michigan, so when I am prospecting, I'll tie a light, dark, and something in the middle on. The fish seem to key in on a certain color or shape so I'll adjust from there. It helps to have an idea of insects to expect while you're there. but I dont think you could go wrong with any of the choices everyone has listed.

Dave
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 am

chase creek wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:45 am I think the Partridge & Orange and Stewart's Black Spider, although I don't keep records of such things. Both are older patterns that work very well.
+1 - with these two flies, you could catch fish just about anywhere!
Soft and wet - the only way....
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am

SenecaLaker wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 pm My most productive fly this season has been a variation of Richard Walker's mayfly nymph tied as a wingless wet.

Dave
Dave - Have you shared that pattern with us yet? If so, could you please share a link to the pattern? I'd like to see an example, and add a couple to my fly box.

jkdurden

Post by jkdurden » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:24 pm

I’ve found the following spider patterns work well on my home waters.

1. Hare’s Ear Soft Hackle 16-18
2. Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle 18-20
3. Black and Purple or Black or Purple Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle 18-20
4. Stewarts Spider 18-22
5. Peacock and Partridge 14-16
6. Partridge and Orange 14-16
7. Copper King - 16-20 Copper tinsel body, red thread head and partridge hackle. Works really well in off colored water and during runoff.
8. Yellow and Partridge 16-20 I take a magic marker and add an orange tag on the butt end during yellow sally season but also works well for PMD hatches with or without the orange tag.
9. Black and Partridge - tied small. 18-22
10 Bracken Clock (-10sp) or Red Ass - 14-18 Peacock body with a partridge hackle and red tag and red head. Red Ass has the red tag.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Nothing new to be said from me. I have been using a #14 partridge and orange all year long and have had good luck with it. I usually fish 2 flies. So I started out with a #14 partridge and orange and a #14 partridge and yellow. They worked very well in the spring, then I changed the yellow to a #18 partridge and olive. This combo worked well most of the summer. I recently changed to using 2 partridge and orange, a #14 and a #16. Most of the fish I was catching was on the partridge and orange so I swapped out the olive for a #16 orange. I use gold wire on my partridge and orange.
Greg
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:30 pm

I just returned from Montana,two months, I used basically three flies during the entire trip. The s/h I used was size 14 Ellis Hatches, Hatching Pupa. Video is available on line.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 am

Bob..I'm glad I got to spend a couple days with you and Old Hat out there in Montana. Learned a lot on that trip from you two and from Jim. Wish I could have spent more time on the water and not whining about my sore wing.
Since that trip, I've taken up the Tenkara, and with a little schooling from Roadkill been thrashing the water with a variety of flies. Hatches's pupa looks like one I should add to the box. What colors did you use most on this trip?
Also, when you get the time, I'd appreciate any tips on which fly lines you use with your Tenkara rods.

PS... my most productive fly this late summer and early fall has been a black Stewart's Spider. I've fished it both on the traditional fly rod and Tenkara.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am

Welcome back Bob. I will do a search and see if I can find a link for the Ellis Hatches Hatching Pupa pattern, and post a link once I've tracked it down.