which one where

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: which one where

Post by Roadkill » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 am

IMO it depends what hatches if any are happening, the stage of the emergence, and where in the water column the fish are feeding. ;)
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 am I'm kind of like DUBBN, my point fly is always one I have the most confidence in,
And you're in good company. Edmonds and Lee pointed out in Brook and River Trouting : "It remains only to add, that the taking fly should be fished as point, i.e, the fly farthest from the angler."

I took those words to heart years ago.
Bob
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:19 pm

TZNorway, Howdy;
TZNorway wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm Hi,

what's the general approach to fishing a set of three NC spiders. Say the Partridge & Orange, Dark Watchet, Spring Black. All size 14. Which one would you put where on the cast, and why?

Sorry off this has been asked before.

Cheers,
TZ
It is easy to see you are looking for a definitive answer to your question about which of 3 specific
flies to tie onto your leader and in which order. Dubbn's answer was succinct in saying that he would
use the one he had the most confidence in on the point. I would take that info and experiment with
each of those flies to see for myself which brought the most fish to hand and go on from there. Then
Ron Eagle Elk told you what he has found to be his personal favorite and corroborated what Dubbn said
earlier.
Would seem to me that some fishing would be in order after tying some of those three flies and perhaps
a few others to actually see what works in Norway. It may be different then what works here in the States
Would like to hear what you find to see what your answer is to a question that can only be answered by
the person asking the question.

By the way, Welcome to the forum :D

hank

PS. Oh, by the way your real first question actually was " what's the general approach to fishing a set of
three NC spiders. " ... and that was answered.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:08 am

I've used so many different setups, I can't remember them all.. But If fishing 3 flies, I tend to follow Davy Wotton's methods. Twenty inches apart, and short droppers, and vary the size and color of the flies. If the bites are coming on one of the three... I'm likely to clip off the others, as less tangles, etc. If the bites drop off, I'll add back an attractor of some sort, but fish the fly getting the most action on the point.

But, as Roadkill suggests.. it all starts with what's going on in the river, time of year, bugs generally present in the stream at that time, etc...
TZNorway

Post by TZNorway » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Brilliant information everybody.

I have started experimenting with these flies in "my" water, which is a slow flowing river between two lakes. So far I was not too successful with NC´s, but I somehow feel that my catch rate could improve with those type of flies as trout are often going after emergers rather than duns. Plus chucking a Klinkhamer or bog standard deer hair fly starts to get boring, even though they catch.

The other "problem" I have is that there are many fish are rising at the same time. They come to feed in certain parts of the water at different times. Its very special fishery in a way. Very different to what one normally experiences in a faster flowing water. Fish here are always on the move. Its a new puzzle every hour. So using multiple flies should up my game, statistically speaking.

Thanks again for the confidence boost. I will keep on trying and let you know what I ended up doing. Sadly now the season is almost over.

Cheers,
TZ
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams