Tenkara shakedown day

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Tenkara shakedown day

Post by ronr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Had a perfect, calm day to try out the new Tenkara rod. Roadkill turned me on to the rod and it was a winner. Took about 10 casts to find the rods sweet spot and then it was game on🤪 I fished a couple spots on the upper Metolius that had been holding fish. A hatch of PMD’s was on and it was great fun. Caught fish on several Tenkara flies I’d tied as well as a sparkle dun and some soft hackles. Thanks for the encouragement Roadkill. I’m hooked.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Tenkara shakedown day

Post by letumgo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 pm

:D ;)

Have fun! And then report back. :)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes indeed! We want to hear the results! You must be in Tenkara heaven!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 am

the fishing gods can be testy at times...I took my daughter and SIL out to show them the Tenkara on a stretch of the middle Deschutes. I had been doing pretty well on a specific stretch swinging wets. After a few minutes of practice above the chosen spot, we attacked the honey hole in earnest. Alas, not a single fish gave in to our pursuits. Even the old "master" failed to bring a fish to hand. But, it was the full moon, the barometric pressure was high, it was a bright sunny day, someone must have fished the hole ahead of us...I must have chosen the wrong flies.... anyone else have any excuses I can add to my list..

It was still a nice day and I'm lucky to have a girl child who loves to fish as much as me and has a husband who she has trained well.

Stayed tuned for more in my attempt to learn Tenkara and hopefully some photo proof of the results.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 am

ronr, if you tell me how long your rod is I may be able to get you some guides for it. :shock:
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm

You know its a good day when you've caught enough fish to say to yourself, I wonder if they'll eat this fly...and then you try another and they eat that too..and then you put on something you really didn't expect them to eat... and it works too. Everything the marketing types say about Tenkara is true. Even a beginner can catch fish this way, and it takes no time at all to get the hang of it.
But, today was just too much. I caught fish on soft hackles, kebashi, bead head jigs, and even a streamer.
If this keeps up, I may have to change my handle to ronr san..... :mrgreen:
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm

:o :shock: :D :!:

dd