Fishnkilts

Re: New member intro

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 am

This will help you I think.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:19 am

Jeanluc, Howdy;

A good little book is, "Year of the Spider" by Philip Story.
It is available on-line (Amazon), It is an interesting book
more about the flies but is based upon the patterns of
T.E. Pritt (another good book to have).

Best of Luck ( Bonne chance )

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Jeanluc

Hooks size

Post by Jeanluc » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:36 am

Good morning from france,
I notices that in général,the patterns of wet and flymphs are made with larger hooks number than the dry, N°10,12,14,16.
Here WE use number 16 and especially 18 and sometimes 20. I was wondering :Can WE Make these flies whith smaller hooks or a small Size would affect the efficiency
Thanks you
Jean luc
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:32 am

Hello Jeanluc, and welcome to the forum!

Your statement is correct in that these flies are generally tied on larger hooks. How ever I have better success tying Flymph‘s on sizes #16,18 and 20. Over the weekend at Fly Fest, I have the opportunity to hold Pete Hidys actual flight while it in my hands, and look VERY closely at the flies it contained. Most of them were on the smaller size, mostly 16 and 18. If you look back here in the forum you will see pictures of this posted. Maybe one of the other members can help find the link.
Good luck
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:43 am

Fishnkilts and Jean-Luc,
welcome to the Flymph Forum. As Ray says, there is a lot of information here if you search.
I live in New England, on the Massachusetts side of the New Hampshire border. My father was V.S. “Pete” Hidy, which is why I belong to the forum. I don’t fish or tie as much as other members, but I enjoy this wet-fly tradition since I grew up with it in Oregon and Idaho, before I moved East.
I’ll be fishing the Owyhee in Oregon in June, assuming it is considered safe to fly then.

Lance
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:12 am

I tie almost all my wet flies in 14, 16, and 18. The only exceptions are when I'm imitating a specific larger insect, such as a March Brown or an October Caddis.

Since many wet flies are sparsely tied, I find that I can get away with a slightly larger hook than I can for other styles of flies.
Bob
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 am

Bonjour Jean-luc... Here in Central Oregon, I fish soft hackles in 16-18's almost exclusively on the Crooked River. It is a challenge to find feathers in those sizes, but there are good posts on the forum about how to use larger feathers on small hooks. At times, I will use a larger fly as an attractor, but the majority of the bites are on the small flies. The classic spider patterns seem to work best for me but I love swinging wets fo all varieties... Welcome to the forum.
RickA

Post by RickA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm

ronr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 am Bonjour Jean-luc... Here in Central Oregon, I fish soft hackles in 16-18's almost exclusively on the Crooked River. It is a challenge to find feathers in those sizes, but there are good posts on the forum about how to use larger feathers on small hooks. At times, I will use a larger fly as an attractor, but the majority of the bites are on the small flies. The classic spider patterns seem to work best for me but I love swinging wets fo all varieties... Welcome to the forum.
This might be a solution/use for the capes you have plucked all the smaller feathers from. :idea:
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 pm

RickA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm
ronr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 am Bonjour Jean-luc... Here in Central Oregon, I fish soft hackles in 16-18's almost exclusively on the Crooked River. It is a challenge to find feathers in those sizes, but there are good posts on the forum about how to use larger feathers on small hooks. At times, I will use a larger fly as an attractor, but the majority of the bites are on the small flies. The classic spider patterns seem to work best for me but I love swinging wets fo all varieties... Welcome to the forum.
This might be a solution/use for the capes you have plucked all the smaller feathers from. :idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ys6zTeTT68
Thank you!!!! I have so many soft hackle feathers and skins that I thought before were just too big to use, and so I thought of throwing away my skins or letting the cats go nut with them. Not any more thanks to that video. I have a friend in Ireland who would love to see this video as well, so I'll send it to him.
Thanks again!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:27 pm

This is the method I prefer for over sized feathers.
https://charliesflyboxinc.com/portfolio ... mplate-88/