Favorite Rod Configuration

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Toasty

Re: Favorite Rod Configuration

Post by Toasty » Sat May 02, 2020 10:38 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:49 pm But for me, I particularly don't like fast action. In my graphite rods when it comes to fishing wets and dries, my Scott G2 884 or my T&T Aeros 904, both medium action are what I like. With the softer tips and hard hits, I don't break my tippet off like faster rods are known to do.
I ended up snagging a 904 Radian at the recommendation of my local shop. Got to cast it against an X and an LL, but it was very very windy that day so I think that effected my decision substantially. The sage LL in particular had a great feel to me but I was able to cast better with the Radian.

I really like this rod, it has a soft tip so I think it will do well for my preferred tactics on bigger water. I’m thinking I want a medium rod to pair with it, and the Scott G 884 is something I keep hearing about. I might go try that (on a less gusty day) against an LL. What do you like about it?

I haven’t gotten a chance to fish the radian yet, everywhere I go is closed and I keep hearing about folks getting their cars towed while parked near trails to go hike in and fish. It’s tough waiting this one out, I am just dying to get out and spent some time standing in a river.
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Sat May 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Roadkill wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:22 pm I have two favorites that I have built:
#1 is a Sage 490 LLB for finer presentation and small flies that took a slight edge over a previous Loomis 4 weight. ;)
#2 is a Sage 690-4 RPL that is my workhorse rod for everyday use especially if the wind is up a little.
For ease of travel I have Cabela's Stowaways in 4. 6, 8 and 10 weights.
I need to try building a rod one of these days. How do you like that LL?
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Toasty,

The LLB is my favorite rod to use hands down on spring creeks! I built it for myself as a backup to my Loomis 4 wt. after building a 386 LLB for a fishing partner of mine. 8-) I fished his and had to make one for myself. My only 3 weight is the LLB replacement, a VPS 389-3 that I bought when that series was discontinued. :D
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 pm

Roadkill, thanks for your thoughts on that. So what does the “b” in “llb” indicate? Is that “LL Blank” to differentiate that you added your own components? Is that the original LL lineup or the new one?
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 am

Light Line Blank was the original series. :D
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 pm

Toasty wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:38 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:49 pm But for me, I particularly don't like fast action. In my graphite rods when it comes to fishing wets and dries, my Scott G2 884 or my T&T Aeros 904, both medium action are what I like. With the softer tips and hard hits, I don't break my tippet off like faster rods are known to do.
I ended up snagging a 904 Radian at the recommendation of my local shop. Got to cast it against an X and an LL, but it was very very windy that day so I think that effected my decision substantially. The sage LL in particular had a great feel to me but I was able to cast better with the Radian.

I really like this rod, it has a soft tip so I think it will do well for my preferred tactics on bigger water. I’m thinking I want a medium rod to pair with it, and the Scott G 884 is something I keep hearing about. I might go try that (on a less gusty day) against an LL. What do you like about it?

I haven’t gotten a chance to fish the radian yet, everywhere I go is closed and I keep hearing about folks getting their cars towed while parked near trails to go hike in and fish. It’s tough waiting this one out, I am just dying to get out and spent some time standing in a river.
When the Radian was a fairly new rod on the market, I went to test one. The guys at the shop wanted me to try the Sage One and compare it against the Radian, and they were pushing the One. I couldn't cast that thing to save my life. I kept looking for the on & off switch on that rod to get it to cast, but no luck. Then came the radian, and the line was laying out in such a straight line that I was able to wrap the leader around my trailer hitch at 50 feet. I ended up taking that rod home, but it was the 905. To me the Radian is a faster med/fast rod, and its incredible.

The Scott G2 I have is a wonderful deep flexing rod. I can slightly feel the bend deep into the butt section of the rod, and it's a very smooth casting rod. It's a great rod for wets and dries. Also, since it flexes pretty deep, it doesn't have the backbone that the T&T Aeros has. The T&T has much, much better lift which helps the mending quite a bit, and if I let the line go past me about 30 feet, I can still lift all the line off the water and go right into a forward cast. The Scott G2 struggles doing that. That is about the only negative thing about it. Though I have been thinking about selling mine.

As for the new Scott G, it's a bit faster and a little stronger in the butt section. I have not compared the new G against the T&T, but I imagine they are pretty similar. I also hear the new G can handle the wind better than the G2, but still isn't wind friendly. The Radian is much better for wind. The new Scott G is getting such great feedback, and it's very popular among moderate fly rod fans. The Scott G series from it's beginning to now is still regarded as one of the best, if not the best, moderate action rods made, and it's no wonder why it has had such a loyal following for all these years. I believe if I ever did compare the T&T Aeros against the new Scott G, it would probably end up being a coin toss to choose which rod to buy. Both rods cosmetically are absolutely beautiful.

The Aeros rod has been discontinued, but you can still get one from Front Range Anglers in a 904 & 905.
https://frontrangeanglers.com/product/t ... s-fly-rod/

When I did test the new Scott G, I have to say it was sweet. The 844, 884, 904 and 905 are just fun rods to cast. I have yet to actually fish with the new G series, but that day will come I'm sure.
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Fri May 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 pm
Toasty wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:38 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:49 pm
When the Radian was a fairly new rod on the market, I went to test one. The guys at the shop wanted me to try the Sage One and compare it against the Radian, and they were pushing the One. I couldn't cast that thing to save my life. I kept looking for the on & off switch on that rod to get it to cast, but no luck. Then came the radian, and the line was laying out in such a straight line that I was able to wrap the leader around my trailer hitch at 50 feet. I ended up taking that rod home, but it was the 905. To me the Radian is a faster med/fast rod, and its incredible.

As for the new Scott G, it's a bit faster and a little stronger in the butt section. I have not compared the new G against the T&T, but I imagine they are pretty similar. I also hear the new G can handle the wind better than the G2, but still isn't wind friendly. The Radian is much better for wind. The new Scott G is getting such great feedback, and it's very popular among moderate fly rod fans. The Scott G series from it's beginning to now is still regarded as one of the best, if not the best, moderate action rods made, and it's no wonder why it has had such a loyal following for all these years. I believe if I ever did compare the T&T Aeros against the new Scott G, it would probably end up being a coin toss to choose which rod to buy. Both rods cosmetically are absolutely beautiful.

When I did test the new Scott G, I have to say it was sweet. The 844, 884, 904 and 905 are just fun rods to cast. I have yet to actually fish with the new G series, but that day will come I'm sure.
Thanks so much for the in depth analysis! I am really keen on trying one of those GS884. I think it would do really well paired with the 904. I primarily fish a big tailwater fishery (Chattahoochee near Atlanta) and the Radian will do well there. For up North, where we have a mix of medium tailwaters and smaller streams, something like the 844 or 884 GS would probably be quite at home for a variety of techniques. I also heard that the GS 885 and Sage Trout LL 8’6”#5 are good lower Appalachia all purpose rods.