Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

bocast

Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Post by bocast » Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Ordered a Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt convertible to 11' with a section stashed in the handle. First outing today was great fun using a 3wt Rio SHS 3D F/H/I. A cast of two wets, a #10 palmered winged wet top dropper (Wickhams Fancy) and a #16 soft hackle (black & silver spider) point fly did surprisingly well on a very sunny day over stocked trout. The clear water placed trout reactions on display. Almost all the takes followed the same pattern. A trout rose to and slashed at the top dropper as the fly dapped the water, then dropped back and took the small soft hackle. To prevent the refusals of the top dropper, I replaced it with a smaller, more drab winged wet with the same results. If I stopped manipulating the casts and let them sink, the trout simply ignored the top dropper, only rarely taking the point fly. When I worked the cast to keep the top dropper dancing in the film, the action was fast and furious with two fish at a time rushing the cast. These trout are accustomed to feeding on pellets. My guess is the dapping of the top dropper suggested fish feed. Refusal followed recognition that a Wickhams Fancy is not a pellet. The small soft hackle was the consolation prize. The rod is accurate, with a smooth medium to medium fast action. For a sub $400 rod it acquitted itself very well. I had so much fun that I forgot to try the extra section. Next time I will fish a cast of three with a flymph as the middle dropper.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Post by letumgo » Mon May 04, 2020 12:54 am

:D money well spent! ;)

Sounds like a fantastic day! 8-)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
bocast

Post by bocast » Mon May 04, 2020 1:11 am

I'm dying to see if they take the flymph at the mid dropper or the point fly. I can't wait to get out again.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Mon May 04, 2020 6:19 am

I have the 10’ 4 weight Streamflex and found it to be good fun for casts of 3 soft hackles. I didn’t know when I bought it about the Streamflex plus 3 weight that had the extra piece, that would’ve been nice.
bocast

Post by bocast » Mon May 04, 2020 6:38 am

Toasty, all the Streamflex Plus rods have an extra piece, most with an extension of 6". The Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt has the 12" extension. I don't think this applies to the Streamflex rods, just the Streamflex Plus rods, but I'm no expert on the Gray's rods now branded as Fenwick.
Toasty

Post by Toasty » Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 am

As I understand it, that “plus” designation is what indicates the extension. Didn’t know that they came in different lengths. It’s a cool concept and they executed it well with being able to store the extra piece on the rod.
Variant

Post by Variant » Mon May 04, 2020 8:37 am

I have the GREYS XF2 STREAMFLEX 11’ #3 rod, I purchased it to try the EURO nymphing.Now I mostly use the rod for swinging wets and flymphs. I really like the action , sensitive tip and full flex down into the cork. A couple of times I took off the reel , added a furled leader to the tiptop guide and added some tippet and used the set up as a Tenkara rod.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 am

"took off the reel , added a furled leader to the tiptop guide and added some tippet and used the set up as a Tenkara rod."

now thats a great idea !!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 pm

I think I'll order one of these when they are back in stock. Looks like it could be a good wet fly rod.
bocast

Post by bocast » Mon May 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Lou, That's a truly inspired idea, converting the rod into a tenkara rod. I might try that with the rod in the 11' configuration. Well done! So I actually bought several rods, including 10' and 11' wet fly rods and a tenkara rod!