light reflection

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: light reflection

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 pm

DUBBN wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am I totally disagree. Tethering a flymph with a dry or another nymph shows that patterns versatility. By disregarding this technique, you have essentially removed arrows from your soft hackle quiver. Options are an amazing things, and I like amazing things.

Emergers are found from the river bottom all the way up to the surface. Not taking advantage of this is in my opinion, fool hardy. I believe there are always emergers, cripples, and drowned adults all through the water column. In my opinion, soft hackles do a darn good job imitating every stage.

Many times while nymphing with an indicator, euro nymphing, or sight fishing, with weight, to actively feeding fish, I will have a soft hackle on some where in the line of flies. Letting the rig rise to the surface on a tight line at the end of the drift is a great way to find out that the fish have started chasing emergers or diving caddis to the surface. When I am catching more fish on the rise, it is time to take the weight off and start working the upper water column.

For me, the soft hackle/flymph/spider are much too valuable to not exploit "drowned" or semi-dry. This is what makes fly fishing fun. The individual spin each of us puts on it.

As far as light reflection goes, I think it plays a minor role. I do however go with flashy "bling" type patterns more when the sun is bright rather than on cloudy days, but not always. Usually a glass or plastic bead is tied on the fly, or slipped up the tippet above the fly.
Coming from the guy who has multiple times self proclaimed to never have tied a flymph. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Old Hat on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Re: light reflection

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Old Hat wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 pm
DUBBN wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am I totally disagree. Tethering a flymph with a dry or another nymph shows that patterns versatility. By disregarding this technique, you have essentially removed arrows from your soft hackle quiver. Options are an amazing things, and I like amazing things.

Emergers are found from the river bottom all the way up to the surface. Not taking advantage of this is in my opinion, fool hardy. I believe there are always emergers, cripples, and drowned adults all through the water column. In my opinion, soft hackles do a darn good job imitating every stage.

Many times while nymphing with an indicator, euro nymphing, or sight fishing, with weight, to actively feeding fish, I will have a soft hackle on some where in the line of flies. Letting the rig rise to the surface on a tight line at the end of the drift is a great way to find out that the fish have started chasing emergers or diving caddis to the surface. When I am catching more fish on the rise, it is time to take the weight off and start working the upper water column.

For me, the soft hackle/flymph/spider are much too valuable to not exploit "drowned" or semi-dry. This is what makes fly fishing fun. The individual spin each of us puts on it.

As far as light reflection goes, I think it plays a minor role. I do however go with flashy "bling" type patterns more when the sun is bright rather than on cloudy days, but not always. Usually a glass or plastic bead is tied on the fly, or slipped up the tippet above the fly.
Coming from the guy who self proclaims to never have tied a flymph. :roll: :lol:
Coming from a guy that lets his wife be the bread winner. :roll: :lol: