Grey's Streamflex 10' 3wt - Line suggestions

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Grey's Streamflex 10' 3wt - Line suggestions

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:48 pm

I just took delivery of the Grey's Streamflex 10' 3wt from Great Feathers and my first impression is pretty favourable--very light in the hand, nice flex, cosmetically perfect. Needs a slightly heavier reel to balance the length, but that's to be expected.

Now I was wondering if anyone has any line recommendations for it? I've got a few 3wt lines (Cortland sylk, SA GPX, Sage Quiet Taper) which I will be trying out, but if someone has found something well matched to the rod I'd like to hear about it. My plan is to use it primarily for in close work and a heavier profile is probably better in this case, but it's going to see some action on moderate sized streams and I'd like to look at something that will work well in the middle distances (say 30-50') in fairly cool water conditions.

Thoughts?

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Grey's Streamflex 10' 3wt - Line suggestions

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey Aaron, I have that same rod and I love it. I use the same line I've come to depend on for all my rods. The Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout WF Fly Line in a 3wt works great for me. I tried overweighting the road with a 4 wt and found that it wasn't necessary. The 3wt was right on. I'd be very interested to hear what others think of the question. And you definitely need to report back with your selection and a verdict.

that's a sweet rod.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Quote--that's a sweet rod.
W

I Agree ,I also have one. I use the 3 wt for euro nymphing. I bet my line is a little different,I use Cortland flat shooting line in 20 # test with a 12 ft leader. Im a bamboo guy, but like this plastic rod bet you do also.

Best
John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:04 am

Now I could try and talk you into a Terenzio 3.5 line (artificial or silk) which is what I use. BUT, I can tell you that for my clients they use a Cortland Sylk through the longer rods. Same thickness as a silk line. I have also taken delivery of a Varivas floating line which has a different taper and so far feels good. Having said all of that, stick to something that you know.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I'm a firm believer in matching the line to the rod, and so far the line that seems to fit the bill is the Cortland sylk. I found the Sage quiet taper a bit on the light side at short distance, and the SA GPX too much in the mid range. I accidentally picked up a 2wt GPX on my way out of the house, and found that it worked surprisingly well for distance casting. For the short term I'm going to stick with the Sylk. I'm a bit biased towards this line as it's one of my favourites for stream fishing and because it has very low memory in cold water conditions.

One thing I'll say for this rod: it behaves like a true 3wt. I've found that many light rods beyond the 9' range tend to respond more like rods a weight or two higher. I'm liking this rod already.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:26 am

skunkaroo wrote: I'm a firm believer in matching the line to the rod, and so far the line that seems to fit the bill is the Cortland sylk.
I've got the 9' version, and the Cortland Sylk DT seems to be the ideal match.
Bob