Rod size for fishing North Country flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Rod size for fishing North Country flies

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 am

Did you notice I didn't say spiders? That's is because in my opinion thew only spider patterns are those outlined by Stewart in his book The Practical Angler. So there. It is a bit like the droves of anglers who tie up small emerger parachute flies and call them 'Klinks'. While it may be flattering to Hans Van Klinken that they are termed after him THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE A TRUE Klinkhamer Special. So there. Got that off my chest.
To the point of the thread.
I noticed in another thread than Andrew (Glassjet) and Ruard were discussing rod length for fishing soft hackles. (See Fishing Cabin/Andrew Dry) and the use of longer leaders.
I thought I may share this small diagram with you. It is how I explain it to my clients. You will see that all rod length/line/leader combination is all relevant and using smaller rods versus a longer rod very much depends on where and how you are fishing.

I guess the point is not to be too rigid on rod size, it is more important on how you fish them and leader length.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Rod size for fishing North Country flies

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Pritt's Yorkshire spiders are some of my favorite flies. I just love em. Especially when you drop em off a Klink with a foam post and herl body. That's a killer combo!

Nice diagram.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 pm

William Anderson wrote:Pritt's Yorkshire spiders are some of my favorite flies. I just love em. Especially when you drop em off a Klink with a foam post and herl body. That's a killer combo!
LOL!
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 pm

William Anderson wrote:Pritt's Yorkshire spiders are some of my favorite flies. I just love em. Especially when you drop em off a Klink with a foam post and herl body. That's a killer combo!

Nice diagram.

w
Thanks William except that Pritt only followed others and had no original patterns.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, Phillip, I know he was a couple hundred years late recording all those patterns, but he made a very nice list and I thought it was funnier to use the name that most folks would recognize. One of his books was even called North Country Flies. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com