Re: Nature Spirit's Snowshoe Rabbit Foot Dubbing

A forum to discuss natural and dyed materials used in the tying of various soft hackle patterns for flymphs and other traditional wet fly patterns, as well as where to acquire the materials.

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I am a sucker for new dubbing and hackle. :D

I definitely do not need any more dubbing, but what the heck! So I ordered and received 5 colors of Nature Spirit's Snowshoe Rabbit Foot Dubbing. I then tied a couple of flymphs combining two colors of the snowshoe rabbit foot dubbing spun on Pearsall's light olive silk thread.
Attachments
Snowshoe-Rabbit-Dubbing-Flymph.jpg
Snowshoe-Rabbit-Dubbing-Flymph.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Snowshoe-Rabbit-Dubbing.jpg
Snowshoe-Rabbit-Dubbing.jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 251 times
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Out of curiosity, is there more added to the dubbing than just fur from a snowshoe rabbit's foot? If not, why not just buy the feet?

Nice looking fly, BTW.
Bob
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:44 pm

That is one great looking fly, John. That much snowshoe hare will definitely help keep it in the film.

Personally, I have always purchased complete snowshoe hare feet thinking that would let me choose the length and texture of fur I wanted for different patterns. In addition to "natural" they come in several dyed colors, and will take cold dyes readily. That, however, means more work and the packaged dubbing is probably the better way to go.
In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

John - Where did you order this dubbing? I "need" some.

Goregous fly, by the way. I think the body texture will capture lots of air bubbles and provide a very slow decent when it sinks. Ideal characteristics for emerger patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too)."
WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Ray, I bought them on eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/142519645790. They were available else where but not all the colors I wanted and the prices were higher. If you buy 5 colors he offers free shipping.

redietz, here is what Nature Spirit's says about their Snowshoe Rabbit Foot Dubbing...
This dubbing is a blend of rabbit fur and spiky fur trimmed from the hind feet of snowshoe rabbits. Many of the colors are achieved by blending several different colors together; very buggy! This is a unique product well worth trying. Also available in a 12 color dispenser.
At times I prefer buying 'well blended' packets of dubbing over having to blend myself the actual fur. I also like the various dubbing dispensers for when I am traveling. Hare's mask is an example of a fly tying material I prefer the actual mask and blending my own.

Nature's Spirit is one of the few brands I trust for high quality fly tying materials.

I have entire drawer full of packets of dubbing, another full of various animal fur and another full deer & elk hair pieces. Don't ask me about hackles capes & saddles - it is worse. :lol:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks John.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too)."
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

The Earth tones of this line of dubbing are really nice, I must admit. As the photo clearly shows, they make wonderful little flymph bodies.

It's worth buying. IN MASS QUANTITIES! :twisted:
WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm

To add to this post, someone asked me on the Classic Forum if the Nature's Spirit was true hare or not, I emailed Nature's Spirit and got this reply...

We buy them from the Midwest and the people we buy them from call them Rabbits. I'm sure there is a possibility they could be Hare's.

Now since I am in the far Upper Midwest, I took this photo earlier this year of a snowshoe something ( :lol: ) that spends all it's time running around outside our lake home in Northwest Wisconsin. WBailey posted an excellent response on the Classic Forum that I hope he will also post here. (To me they are all some sort of snow bunny feet and I love the texture for tying soft hackles / emergers and some nymphs, not for dries.)
Attachments
Snowshoe-Rabbit.jpg
Snowshoe-Rabbit.jpg (192.64 KiB) Viewed 180 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Here you go John!

Fran Betters, who created The Usual wrote;

"When I developed the pattern, it was with the use of the snowshoe rabbit's pad but I'm sure that any rabbit's foot would do as well, whether it be a cottontail or even one of the many domestic brands."

I think it is mainly a question of size.

https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland ... hind-feet/
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 am

Great looking dubbing. I really like the blend of colors and texture.

Hey Ray, they have a 12 color dispenser. You need a couple! :lol:
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com