Fly Library

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: Fly Library

Post by joaniebo » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:28 am

Have also started a “partial” hackle library.
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:33 am

I unashamedly stole this idea and have started a library too. I had been trying to figure out a way to save the swap flies I've received. I had them in baseball card cases...but no way to save the toe tags, recipe cards etc that came with the flies. Fortunately, I saved most of the tags, and could match the fly to the tyer and recipes. But, some of those swaps wound up in my fly box and fishes mouths... and some of the flies I couldn't match up. I've spent several hours going back through the lists of participants and what they tied (when they shared the pattern they planned to tie). Often all I had was a fly, a name, and a pattern. Sometimes I could search for that pattern and find a fly in the stash that was a possible match.
In the future, the swap flies, their creators, and the recipes will go into my library. When I get a little farther along, I'll share what my book looks like. I may try to add a photo of the unmatched flies and maybe the tyer will recognize them and let me know.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:23 pm

There's a Hobby Lobby in the next town west of me and I pass it every day going to work. So Now I know what my next project is going to be.

I am thinking instead of baseball card holders I can use the white cardboard sheets to attach the fly to. Then get bigger white cardboard sheets, the kind used for comic books, and attach each of the smaller white sheets with the flies and place them onto the bigger sheets and then place them into a plastic comic book sleeve that has holes punched on the side to store in a big 3 ring note book for safe keeping.

That way when tying a fly I'm not really familiar with, I have an example to look at.

I hope all that made sense because I clearly saw it in my head of what I want to do.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:32 am

Like others, I have unashamedly stolen this idea. The sheets I have fit nicely into a three ring binder and have 20 2"X2" pockets per sheet. I also got some coin holders made of card board with a cellophane window on each side. The holders come in different window sizes from dime to half dollar. Here's the first two in the "library". They are in a half dollar and quarter size holder.
Attachments
DSCN2250.JPG
DSCN2250.JPG (235.58 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:43 am

REE, Ho-ho-howdy;

Looks like you've something to keep you occupied during the Maine winter.
Should also be helpful with the penmanship as well. chuckle. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Hank, our winter here is long, so I have time to tie a few. As for my penmanship, it is beyond help.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:51 am

As REE said, Maine winters can be annoyingly long. They usually last about 8 months, followed by three months of cold, and then August. It was -14 below Friday morning; winter has its teeth in us and the woodstove is working overtime.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:42 am

Mike62 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:51 am As REE said, Maine winters can be annoyingly long. They usually last about 8 months, followed by three months of cold, and then August. It was -14 below Friday morning; winter has its teeth in us and the woodstove is working overtime.
No wood stove here. Thankfully, last summer (August 14th to the 21st), we had a heat pump installed to combat the high summer temps and humidity. With it running the house stays toasty and we only run our oil furnace for about an hour a day.

We were 10 degrees warmer than you on Friday, a balmy -4.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:43 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:42 am
Mike62 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:51 am As REE said, Maine winters can be annoyingly long. They usually last about 8 months, followed by three months of cold, and then August. It was -14 below Friday morning; winter has its teeth in us and the woodstove is working overtime.
No wood stove here. Thankfully, last summer (August 14th to the 21st), we had a heat pump installed to combat the high summer temps and humidity. With it running the house stays toasty and we only run our oil furnace for about an hour a day.

We were 10 degrees warmer than you on Friday, a balmy -4.
Man, I still love burning wood; too bad it hurts so much processing it now. I need to burn somewhere between 8-10 cord a winter to be comfortable in this old house. Could be worse. The old dude I bought the place from said that back in the 80's, before he blew in a little insulation, took a good 16 cord to keep warm.

Beautiful up here today, the sun came out and it hit 20.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:03 am

Mike62 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:51 am Maine winters can be annoyingly long. They usually last about 8 months, followed by three months of cold, and then August.
Now that is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: That line ought to be used in a movie someday. Classic Maine humor. ;) :D

When I was growing up in the Adirondacks we heated our house with several woodstoves (living room, kitchen and garage). We would go thru 14 to 16 cord of wood each winter. I was in the best shape of my life back then, from splitting wood all summer and hauling it into the house all fall/winter/spring. We'd always have a big coffee can of water, sitting on top of the woodstoves steaming away, putting some moisture back into the air.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean