Dark Needle (Dark Spanish Needle)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Aussieflyman

Dark Needle (Dark Spanish Needle)

Post by Aussieflyman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:51 am

The more I study the old North Country patterns the more I find subtle difference between the noted anglers and their tying preference.
This pattern is mentioned in Swarbrick as his #8 “This flie is cald the Wood Owle Take as all Feather out of its Wing abought the Middle part Oringe Silk Harled at the Head with Peacock Harl”
I am taking this as the basis for the pattern.
Pritt calls this the Dark Spanish Needle with the dressing as Brown Owl, Orange thread and a Peacock head.
Pretty much the standard dressing but who in the hell has a heap of Brown Owl.
Perhaps it was hard to get as early as Edmonds and Lee as they state the dressing as the under covert of a Starling, orange thread (and they state 6b) with a magpie head.
Jackson does not even me toon it in his patterns.
In some descriptions I see the under covert feather from a snipe wing.
So what to do?
In this tying I have tried to appease everyone:
Hook - Kamasan B525 #14
Thread - 40 y.o Pearsall’s 6b (yep I have a few spools of this and our Stoneflies do not have an orange body)
Hackle - under covert feather from a Snipe (I tried Starling but they are incredibly frustrating for a ham fisted tier like me)
Head - Peacock (I tried Magpie but it is too fragile).
I think I am happy with the outcome.
Philip
Aussieflyman

Re: Dark Needle (Dark Spanish Needle)

Post by Aussieflyman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:08 am

Here is a better picture of the fly and the thread colour.
Attachments
IMG_6727.jpg
IMG_6727.jpg (224.04 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Philip
DOUGSDEN

Re: Dark Needle (Dark Spanish Needle)

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:28 pm

Philip,
That is just pretty awesome! It has a very "vintage" look to it which I really like! I think our tying forefathers knew what they were doing and fishing and tying way more than us!
Your tying is spectacular! Please keep us fed with more good patterns and images!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.