Dying fur and feather

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Dying fur and feather

Post by GlassJet » Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi there,
Can anyone recommend me a good book / online resources for preparing and dying your own fur and hackles? I have a couple of veniard dyes I've yet to try, but I'd be interested to know (and have a play with) some of the traditional methods, too.

Cheers,
Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
flyfishwithme

Re: Dying fur and feather

Post by flyfishwithme » Fri May 07, 2010 1:28 pm

GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Fri May 07, 2010 2:12 pm

thanks, that's taken a lot of the guesswork out of the veniards process, at least!

From the link:
The old traditional methods while effective were very complicated. If you have an interest in trying the old methods then can I suggest as a starter you get hold of a copy of Irish Trout and Salmon Flies by E J Malone which has just been republished in paperback. Not only does the book contain a fabulous array of traditional fly patterns but has a good chapter on dying by the old methods.

I am reading the Malone book at the moment, and it is the descriptions in there of dying with turmeric that whet my appetite. Beautiful book, that. The irish tying is something else for the blending of colours, am quite getting in to it.

Andrew.
edited to say - oops, got the book wrong. It is 'Tying flies in the irish style' I've got - got the author right though.... ;)
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat May 08, 2010 1:03 pm

GlassJet wrote:Hi there,
Can anyone recommend me a good book / online resources for preparing and dyeing your own fur and hackles? I have a couple of veniard dyes I've yet to try, but I'd be interested to know (and have a play with) some of the traditional methods, too.

Cheers,
Andrew.

http://www.feathersmc.com/articles/show/54 Bill
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat May 08, 2010 1:41 pm

That's brilliant, thanks. Fascinating stuff.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat May 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Eric Leiser's book "Flytying materials" has a comprehensive discussion on dyeing using Veniards and other dyes. And on bleaching. Also some interesting material on photo dyeing. Its a fairly intensive process. Not done it myself, but have seen the results and they were beautiful.

The book bTW is a very good one, comprehensive but older now and still very underrated and MHO is that every tier worth his salt should read it....
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun May 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for the book rec Johnno, just ordered a second hand copy of that...

Andrew.