Hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DarrellP

Hooks

Post by DarrellP » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:14 am

Anyone have a favorite brand for soft hackles?

I have been tying on a lot of different brands. I like everything about Tiemco but the price. They seem stronger and sharper. Other than that, I haven't seen much difference between name brands, and I find myself using a lot of Green Caddis Outfitters and J Stockard house brand. Pretty happy with Umqua, Mustad, Daichii. I really don't see a big difference. I have some Fulling Mill and Partridge I like. I like Firehole for streamer hooks. But really, they all seem good. Trying to start a conversation, not a fight. Please give your opinions.
DUBBN

Re: Hooks

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:09 am

For most of my tying I use Wholesale Fly Company hooks. I can not prove it, but I believe they are the Old Dai-Riki hooks. At 7.00 per 100, they are a great value.

Here is a link:

https://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

In my opinion, and that is all it is, they are better or equal to most of the brands you mentioned.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:40 am

I like the Partridge Patriot hooks, but now that Dettes is no longer selling them I'm looking at other brands. Hanak is a brand I am seriously looking at. I heard somewhere they now make hooks for Partridge, whether it's true or not I can't say.

I used to buy Firehole until I was finding too many hooks in the box with broken hook points.

Tiemco is a great hook but the last three times I bought those I got different sizes mixed in their packaging. I wanted size 14 and got 14 and 16 in the same packages.

I'm also looking at Fulling Mill. They get great reviews.

The Umpqua X hooks are nice, but right now they don't have much variety.

I prefer barbless hooks as you can tell and using one brand that has a wide variety is easier for me to keep track of what hook to use for what. But sometimes a mixture of brands could work better for different purposes.
I'm still new at this hook game and trying to figure out how to work this out to my advantage.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:08 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:09 am For most of my tying I use Wholesale Fly Company hooks. I can not prove it, but I believe they are the Old Dai-Riki hooks. At 7.00 per 100, they are a great value.

Here is a link:

https://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

In my opinion, and that is all it is, they are better or equal to most of the brands you mentioned.
WFC hooks get most of my orders since I started running out of my Dai RIki bulk hooks from Dan Bailey. I find the replacement WFC hooks seem to have a different finish than my old Dai Riki. I love the price point and find they are super sharp when I fail to keep my tying thread away from the points. ;)
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:54 pm

I buy what I can get. Mainly Tiemco and Kamasan for fishing use. Have lots of other hooks for display flies and what have you but if I had a choice of one brand it’d be Kamasan but here in NZ, Tiemco are cheaper for me to buy in bulk so mainly go for them
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:12 pm

My two cents worth. lol I've used mainly Daiichi for a long time and have always liked them. Good sharp points. Long time ago I got into using Partridge but if I remember they became hard to get. Not now days for sure. Partridge seemed to have nice proportions for dry flies. I've recently tried some Sprite wet fly hooks which I like alot but more recenty have been tying some wet flies on Core hooks. Like them very much. My only complaint about them is I can only find them in packs of 25.

Doug J.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:55 pm

Roadkill,
I went to Wholesale Fly Co.'s web-site and looked around! Very interesting place! Good prices especially on hooks!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tworod

Post by tworod » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:57 pm

Check out the seller Hardydeluxe on Ebay. Lots of styles.
I have been very happy with everything I have ordered.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:10 am

DOUGSDEN wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:55 pm Roadkill,
I went to Wholesale Fly Co.'s web-site and looked around! Very interesting place! Good prices especially on hooks!
Dougsden
:roll:
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:36 am

I too have been trying different brands of hooks. Not just the new offerings, but some vintage hooks too. Since being active on this Forum, I was introduced to WFC. Their hooks are the best value around. I just wish they had some up-eye hooks. I now have some of their beads to try too.

If you like Tiemco hooks, check out "Kobe Hooks" from "The Fish Guy". Look here:

www.TheFishGuy.com

Tight Lines- Ken