Clark's dubbing block

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DarrellP

Clark's dubbing block

Post by DarrellP » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am

How many of you use one? Do you pre-make a bunch of dubbing noodles? I am about to get one, I think.
Mike62

Re: Clark's dubbing block

Post by Mike62 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:29 am

I use one, a lot. I really enjoy experimenting with different materials, threads, and waxes. Great fun.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:53 am

I'm with Mike62. I use mine a lot. In addition to the traditional dressings, experimenting with different silk, dubbing and waxes is a real hoot.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 pm

I'm lucky to have been gifted two of these devices from members of the forum. It is fun to be able to produce flies from the "traditional" equipment and it does produce results unatainable any other way. I did however, get to witness Jim Slattery demonstrate the "original" method using his pant leg to create the rope of dubbing. He stressed that not just any pant leg would work, and that the material of one's pants made a difference in the friction created when rolling the rope across the pant leg. The "pant leg" method does produce results different from the Clark's block, but alas, I don't have the right kind of pants. So, I use my block when I want to tie "traditional" flymphs with the original materials.
I tie mostly for my own enjoyment and to fish with the flies I tie. The block method is just a little slower so I seldom use it for tying my flies for fishing. But, on those rare occasions when I'm demonstrating tying flymphs or soft hackes to folks not familiar, its fun to use the block to show them "how it was done". ;)
Storing the completed dubbing ropes on cards is only useful if you have a stiff card stock and have properly waxed the silk, in my opinion anyway.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:01 pm

Hi guys,
I use mine a lot but in spurts of spun body production! When I'm getting low on a certain card(s) and I know that I have a pattern that I want to tie, out comes the block and the silks (although I have experimented with other threads) and the fur and Bill Shuck's tying wax and I make a pleasant evening out of it! There is something magical about doing these on a block. I have to admit I've never tried it on my pant leg! Jim S., I need to come and see you!
William and Ray have been invaluable in helping me to "get it right"! It is amazing to watch them play a tune on the blocks with just the right amount of fur and torque on the silks!
DucksDen
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:27 am

I use one. I wouldn't say a LOT but I do use one often depending on the fly and the size. For flies size 14 to 12 i prefer to use the technique old hat describes on his website for the lisenring spider when you dub a SPARSE thin noodle, then lay a "blanket" of dubbing over it and spin it up in a dubbing loop. I think this looks best and is very durable plus you can use 2 different types or colors of dubbing for a unique depth of color and realism. To me the Clark block shines on small flies because before spinning you can sit with a needle and place every fiber exactly where you want it and have full control of the thickness and taper. Plus Clark blocks are really simple, fun and rewarding to make. I would highly suggest making your own rather than buying one. For me it's as much about history and nostalgia as anything. As with most of my fly tying. It's obviously best used to take an hour and sit and fill a card with pre-spun bodies for the future and so the wax has ample time to cure but I get very little free time so when I do have a little bit to relax I'd rather spend it tying flies tan spinning a bunch of bodies.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:39 am

DarrellP, Howdy;

Lot's of info here; https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AJO ... 36&dpr=0.9
for how to use and make one for yourself.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:40 am

Thanks, guys