Pink Lady Soft Hackle (DOUGSDEN)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Pink Lady Soft Hackle (DOUGSDEN)

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:15 pm

Here is another Doug Duval submission (I am just posting pics for him). I believe this pattern is called a Pink Lady (Doug - please correct me if I am wrong).

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Re: Pink Lady Soft Hackle (DOUGSDEN)

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:36 pm

Good looking tie!! What is the thorax?
DOUGSDEN

Re: Pink Lady Soft Hackle (DOUGSDEN)

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Good Evening Guys,
Ray...you rascal! A sincere THANK YOU goes out to you for posting my version of Mark Libertone's Soft Pink Lady! I really appreciate you doing this for me!
The materials for this pattern are kept in a Zip-lock bag in a special box in my den closet. I call it a pre-pack. I do this with a bunch of different patterns that I frequently tie. I got tired of rooting around the myriad of boxes looking for materials. It works out really well except the box in the closet is too full and I might have to bring another box into service! Does anyone else exhibit this neurotic behavior? LOL!
Almost immediately I started altering the recipe to make the tying a bit easier and quicker! I now know why the materials were what they were! For example: Rayon floss is nothing short of a disaster to use. It is slick and wants to separate and almost always slides down and around the hook shank at just the wrong times. I tried a couple flies and it didn't work. I think the wire rib was used by Mark and others to try and keep this stuff in place not only while tying but when a trout chews on the fly. I used pink tying thread to build up a solid body and still used the wire rib for decoration and protection! I have to admit that the thread does not have the depth that rayon or other flosses have but it doesn't look too bad!
The thorax is gray Krystal Dub. Pretty awesome dubbing for sure and looks great underneath the cream hackle (Mark called for ginger. There's another substitution!) and against the pink body! Mark was really onto something when he brought this pattern together!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.