Your favorite hook

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Greyreef

Your favorite hook

Post by Greyreef » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:15 pm

I'm new to this forum, and I,m sure this question has been asked many times , but what are the hooks you use to tie on.
Althehackleman

Re: Your favorite hook

Post by Althehackleman » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:14 pm

I like the Tiemco 200R hooks. They are 3XL with a bent that l like on my flymphs. I normally tie with barbless and they have 200R-BL too. So it all works. These are not the traditional hooks to use, but I like them a lot. Live on a catch and release trout stream so the barbless makes me feel better too.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:26 pm

Welcome to the community Greyreef! I know you will like it here! The members here are like no other anywhere!
Favorite hook.....can I give you about a dozen different ones that are my favorites? For the flymphs that I tie, probably 90 percent of them get tied on up-eye dry fly hooks mostly from Mustad. There are other brands that I tie with such as Partridge, Tiemco, and Gaelic Supreme! I have also tied flymphs on Tiemco's 9300 (early on in my career and even some to this day). It is a beautifully crafted and designed down eye hook that has great hook setting qualities i.e. extremely sharp hook points and micro barbs which usually get smashed down!
There is something magical about tying flymphs on up-eye hooks! You can feel the spirit and the presence of those who came before us looking over your shoulder and guiding your hands in their construction!
Dougsden

Please tell us more about you! Your background, your favorite hooks and flies, the fish you like to angle for!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Greyreef. Wow, tough question. First thing that came to my mind was, favorite hook for what fly? But since this is the Flymph forum, lets stay with that.

I don't have one favorite hook because all wet flies are not the same. I really like Partridge Patriot hooks, but it seems like those are now going to be hard to get. ( thank you Dette :x )
But the Partridge G3A/LY, D4AY and the SLD2's are some of my favorites.

So right now I'm looking at different hooks and I went back to Firehole Sticks because they seem to be everywhere these days and they are good forged hooks with a decent price. The hooks I like from Firehole are the 609's, 618's and the 633's. These three hooks take care of all my needs when tying because sometimes I add a glass bead to my flymphs, so the longer 618's are great for that. But if I had to choose one hook out of the three, the 633 would be my choice.

There are so many hooks out there and you're going to get many different answers to your question. But you find what hook or hooks you like best because the flies you'll be tying are your flies.

Also, all the hooks I use are barbless.

You're going to like this forum. The people here are top notch.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Wholesale Fly Company gets most of my soft hackle business.

90% of my patterns for softhackles are tied on these two models. Size 14 and 16 being my favorite sizes.

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 am

As others have said, welcome to the forum.

For flymphs I like the up eyed Mustad 94842. They are no longer made. Fortunately for me, I bought a lot of them before they stopped making them. For spiders I like the Daiichi 1640, short shank and straight eye.

Thanks to another board member (DUBBN), Wholesale Fly Company gets a lot of my business for other soft hackle hooks.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:25 pm

I tie almost all wets and dries on Mustad R50's.
Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:16 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 am As others have said, welcome to the forum.

For flymphs I like the up eyed Mustad 94842. They are no longer made. Fortunately for me, I bought a lot of them before they stopped making them. For spiders I like the Daiichi 1640, short shank and straight eye.

Thanks to another board member (DUBBN), Wholesale Fly Company gets a lot of my business for other soft hackle hooks.
REE,

Would these hooks work?

https://detteflies.com/products/mustad-r50u-94842
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:41 pm

They would be perfect if they weren't sold out. Had me kind excited there :D
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:50 pm

[They would be perfect if they weren't sold out. Had me kind excited there :D
[/quote]

Sorry about that. They go fast. Try here:

https://fishfield.com/products/mustad-s ... hooks.html