Hook OCD (I definitely have it)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Hook OCD (I definitely have it)

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:28 am

Hello. My name is Ray and I have hook OCD... :D :lol:

Whenever I get a new pack of hooks, I always take one hook from the pack and attach it to a tag showing make/model/size. This way I have one example left, when using the hooks and knowing what I need to reorder.

For older hooks (the ones in the little paper boxes), I tape one example hook to the outside of the box. This saves a lot of time, when looking thru the boxes for the just the right size/style hook.

Yesterday I was replenishing some of my Mustad hooks and when I compared the original Model 3906B to the new version, there was a noticeable difference in the length of the hook. The newer version is slightly longer than the old one.

Because they were not identical, I simply could not bring myself to dump the new hooks in with the older hooks. The new version got it's own separate slot in my hook box. Told ya I have Hook OCD... :roll: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: Hook OCD (I definitely have it)

Post by Variant » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:13 am

Ray,
I am GUILTY on all counts also.
I have noticed on the new Heritage line of hooks by Mustad that they are different in size and finish.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:48 am

Uh, Ray, Is there a twelve step program for us? I am stealing a couple of your ideas...you know, to help curb the addiction.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:08 am

Ron,

Sorry, but there is no 12 Step Program. Hook OCD is incurable. Just look at what happened to our friend Dana. Poor guy...

Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:09 am

I'm sure I'm not as bad as some of you because I haven't been tying as long . . . so there's still hope for me to curb this. As for you all, I think you're doomed.

I have my hooks at the moment in one of those nuts and bolts storage compartments with the description of what they are. It has served me well this way.

My son got me a nice wooden hook storage box for Christmas and I'm in the process of filling that up with these Moonlit hooks and possibly Firehole. And as you can see, I still have hooks in their packaging I need to put away.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:17 am

Wow, that is a nice set up. What a nice Christmas gift.

I've got packages of hooks in bins, boxes, organized on rings (common types). I was thinking of trying a baseball card organizing binder for the packs of hooks, but have not tried it yet.

Nice to see other options. Thanks for posting the pics.

PS - Oooo, look at all that Pearsall's silk you have ready to go. Very nice!

Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:17 am Wow, that is a nice set up. What a nice Christmas gift.

I've got packages of hooks in bins, boxes, organized on rings (common types). I was thinking of trying a baseball card organizing binder for the packs of hooks, but have not tried it yet.

Nice to see other options. Thanks for posting the pics.

PS - Oooo, look at all that Pearsall's silk you have ready to go. Very nice!
Yes, I know. I have enough brown I hope for Stewart's Black Spiders to last me a lifetime. Flyfud2 came to the fly tying expo last weekend and brought me some more in the golden and primrose I think it is, plus a few others colors. He truly blessed me with his gift.
But this isn't about silk, it's about hook disorder.

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:55 am

I've noticed the size difference in a couple brands. My Tiemco #12's have grown in size too to where I rarely use them. As I was using a lot of #14, now I'm tying more #16 in many of the hook brands.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:52 pm

Ray, I do the exact same thing! It never occurred to me that I was OCD; I just thought it was good common sense.
Solitaryflyguy

Post by Solitaryflyguy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 pm

I’m still trying to get my head around whether there’s a problem or not………. Honestly I don’t see one :D :D