Flymphs for the film

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Flymphs for the film

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 am

Yesterday I explored and tied a few patterns with some similarities in material and overall color shades but with subtle differences. I tied these for fishing in or on the water's surface. Sure, they'll sink and then they will be fished wet. However, I do take certain steps in tying these to ensure they begin their presentation on top. A little floatant and they'll stay there plenty long enough in the drift if fish are rising to adult flies. Enough so, that I usually will tie one of these on before going to a dry fly. Usually the dry ends up staying in the box. The basic simple features that I make sure these patterns utilize are a dry fly hook ( I really am starting to like Tiemco 101 straight eye of the last few seasons). Second the hackle is a bit more stiff (hen cape), dense and palmered in the front 3rd to half of the body. Thirdly, I create the dubbing ropes so the dubbing material is shaggy and not tightly wound, as well as taking the dubbing all the way to the front of the thorax so the hackle and dubbing can mingle in the thorax area when finished. Opening the hackle and and the scraggly body increase the surface area of the entire fly and make it difficult for the pattern to sink through the surface tension of the water. Again, add a little floatant and the lowly flymph will out perform a dry fly in many situations. The patterns in the photo from left to right are my pattern the Light Hare Dun, Hidy's Honey Dun from the confidence patterns found in Flymfer, Hidy's Pale Blue Dun from the Origins of Flymph Fishing and Pale Evening Dun from "Famous Flies and Their Originators".

I really enjoyed tying these and seeing the subtle differences due to the materials used. (whether the fish even see a difference is for another conversation)

Light Hare Dun
Thread: primrose silk
Tail: lemon woodduck
Body: hare cheek on primrose silk
Hackle: light dun hen

Hidy Honey Dun
Thread: ash silk
Body: hare's poll on ash silk
Hackle: honey dun

Hidy Pale Blue Dun
Thread: primrose silk
Tail: blue dun hen fibers (note in the publication the tail is not listed in the materials but the tail shows in the illustration)
Body: hare's cheek
Hackle: blue den hen

Hidy Pale Evening Dun
Thread: primrose or white silk
Tail: light honey dun
Body: creamy red fox fur
Hackle light honey dun hen
The Light 4-2Redux.jpg
The Light 4-2Redux.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 12880 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Flymphs for the film

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:10 pm

Stunning flies, Carl. I usually tie my flymphs to fish in the top of the water column, from the film to maybe an inch or two under. Hackle through the thorax and dubbing all the way to just behind the eye seems to be the best option for me. I do tie others on wet fly hooks to get them down a bit and fish them mostly when searching.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Partsman

Post by Partsman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:46 pm

Absolutely beautiful flies old hat, thanks for sharing your thoughts and patterns. I enjoyed fishing wets and flymphs this spring, but I really need to work my hook set. I broke off some nice fish, but that’s fishing.
Mike.
Variant

Post by Variant » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:23 pm

Well done Carl !
Subtle changes with materials and tying techniques make a big difference! IMHO.
I have tied Flymphs with loosely dubbed seal bodies and sparse cockle dry fly hackle to help keep the fly trapped in the film. I have found that the trout prefer the Flymphs in the final inch rather than a high riding dry fly.
Great patterns once again Carl !

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:42 pm

Beautiful set of flies and the thoughts behind them!

8-) :idea: as usual!
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:47 am

Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your knowledge. Having watched you fish, I am paying attention to your suggestions. Goodness knows, I can use the advice.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:17 pm

Beautiful flies.

Doug J.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:13 pm

Beautifully done Carl!
Greg
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:11 am

Beauties
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:31 am

Marvelous set of flies Carl. I am especially fond of the one on the far left, with the wood duck tail fibers.

I will need to order some new hooks. Most of the dry fly hooks I have are either TUE or TDE versions. Don't think I have any of the Tiemco 101's in my supplies... Soon to be remedied... :D ;) Thanks for feeding my addiction...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean